Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

And there was I thinking a person replied.....

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 24 Jul 2012 18:40

I responded to the GR announcement of 19 July in which they announced that the old tree was about to be removed that day. Not wishing to be cynical or anything but normally new announcements are highlighted in a glorious yellow...this one wasn't. And I only found out that the old tree was no longer available to use when I looked and it was gone.

So I complained...I don't like the new tree builder and never will. I think using it is a nasty experience.

It took a day or so but I received the following message...

Dear Judith

Thanks for getting in touch

After a long period of testing and reacting to user feedback, we feel that the new family tree is now performing sufficiently enough for us to retire the old version of the tree.
We have been planning to retire the old tree for a while now. The old tree was built when Genes Reunited first launched in 2002 and since then the user base and technology available has changed dramatically. Supporting the old tree was restricting us from making further improvements that we have planned for the coming months. We intend to continue work on the new version of the tree, reacting to your feedback and introducing new features that will make the Genes Reunited family tree one of the best that is available.

If you are experiencing any problems with the new version of the tree please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do everything we can to rectify the problem as quickly as possible. You can also find help with the tree on our help pages - http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help.page/faqs where there is a section with full details on how to use the tree. In the meantime, try out the new tree, look for the new features including the list view and full screen option, and keep sending us your feedback.

I responded saying thanks...understand if you are unable to offer the option of using old tree but regretfully it would end my membership.

And I got this back

Dear Sir/Madam

Thanks for getting in touch.

After a long period of testing and reacting to user feedback, we feel that the new family tree is now performing sufficiently enough for us to retire the old version of the tree.

We have been planning to retire the old tree for a while now. The old tree was built when Genes Reunited first launched in 2002 and since then the user base and technology available has changed dramatically. Supporting the old tree was restricting us from making further improvements that we have planned for the coming months. We intend to continue work on the new version of the tree, reacting to your feedback and introducing new features that will make the Genes Reunited family tree one of the best that is available.

If you are experiencing any problems with the new version of the tree please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do everything we can to rectify the problem as quickly as possible. You can also find help with the tree on our help pages - http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help.page/faqs where there is a section with full details on how to use the tree. In the meantime, try out the new tree, look for the new features including the list view and full screen option, and keep sending us your feedback.

So much for the "personal touch".

And now today the GR team has made another announcement (again cynically not highlighted) about the problems and how they are getting over them...and the last bit is

Don't forget we have added a 'how to' blog here - http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/blog.page/genes-reunited-blog/archive/2012/7/14/tree-updates. We have also got some exciting new features planned for the coming weeks.

So tried the link

and you get

Info
This post does not exist or is not viewable

:-( GR Team....as an old fashioned teacher would have said "Must try harder"!

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Jul 2012 21:57

Typical..............

Kense

Kense Report 24 Jul 2012 22:11

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/blog.page/genes-reunited-blog/archive/2012/7/14/tree-updates

Full stop removed.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 25 Jul 2012 06:41

Being really really cynical...has anyone ever "heard" of any of the members who like it ? They don't appear to inhabit the boards ha ha!! And there are still many many dissenters on the blog.

But the computer generated messages I have had make it clear that they can't support the old tree any more. Perhaps when they lose the membership fees that they undoubtedly will that they may find they can't support the new either :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2012 07:10

Jude

Lots of people seem to like the new tree ............... and many ARE names that I recognize from the Boards over the years!

I don't use the tree ..................... I have a small tree on here, but it just sites there ................. so I can't comment on how good or bad it is

sylvia.

Kense

Kense Report 25 Jul 2012 08:43

While agreeing that the majority of members who have posted do not like the new tree, there is a thread on genealogical chat which supports it and the poll on General Chat has many members in favour of it.

Certainly the duplication of entries is a serious fault and seems to have become worse as more people use the new tree. There are are also some constructive criticisms about the tree. However the majority of criticism seems to be if tha fact that it has changed and they don't see the reason for it, even though the old tree is very basic by today's standards and needed some serious rework.

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jul 2012 08:43

I really dont like the new tree on GR :-P

I think Sylvia was answering a question that Jude posed 'has anyone ever "heard" of any of the members who like it ?'

I have heard from one person that likes it...............but she's nuts anyway ;-)

Gai

Gai Report 25 Jul 2012 09:52

I like the new tree and said so in a thread I started.

Gin's hope you aren't implying that I'm nuts. lol ;-)

Rambling

Rambling Report 25 Jul 2012 10:15

The new tree is working for me and I like it, and whilst I may well be nuts I think I have been heard of :-D

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jul 2012 10:30

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jul 2012 10:31

Ooooh........why has Rollos post been RR'd?????

Theres a lot of it about these days :-|

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 25 Jul 2012 10:35

All.... :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

I have tried it HONEST ...I just don't like it. Perhaps it's me and I'm getting old ;-) and grumpy :-|

Madeline

Madeline Report 25 Jul 2012 10:44

I have been complaining about the change over, very bitterly over the last couple of months, and seem to be being subjected to the pat on the shoulder"there there,dear all will be well" if you just follow the directions,
I therefor went into the "Help"section and copied every hint on "how to"
change, Edit, remove, alter.etc etc ending up with a pile of paper with directions on them.
I next tried to find 27 of my relations on lt to be told "Sorry there is no one that meets that critereron this tree"
As a78 year old I will now have to go back to the old way of Hard copies.
I went to Tech to learn to use the tree when I first joined and have followed these written instructions,with a few mistakes,but have been able to keep the mind active, But what now.? I have asked about printing my tree but again I have not been able to follow the muddled version .And as for doing corrections, three of us all tried to, but even following the printed instruction, we were told we could not cancel that person.
Thanks Genes from a very unhappy member who will probably not renew her subscription
Mad M

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jul 2012 11:02

Ive tried too Jude, I just dont think it's as easy to navigate as the old one was

Youre not grumpy ;-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 25 Jul 2012 11:13

don't like the new one

It's slow and It clones my rellies.

One of each of them is enough, thankyou <3

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 25 Jul 2012 18:07

Credit where credit is due. This time GR replied and they have obviously read the message and responded accordingly :-)

They still can't support the old tree (as well as).....I have a couple of months to decide what to do. If I do stay it will only be to help out/banter on the boards. Not to maintain my tree. But do I want to pay £20 a year to do that .......

Gins...depends on how many players LUFC are going to sell (to Norwich) without replacing them :-(

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jul 2012 18:20

I never buddy mentioned Leeds :-P

........and no one else should either ;-)

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 25 Jul 2012 18:30

Well NOBODY does mention the Blades ha ha!!!!!! :-P

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jul 2012 20:06

Jude :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 25 Jul 2012 20:15

Before I say night night Gins...cutting comments ...which is more than you can say about the Blades - ha ha :-)

Night Night :-D