Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

showing cousins who marry without copying names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jayne

Jayne Report 16 Aug 2012 18:40

a few generations ago i have two cousins who married, how can i show this on my tree without duplicating the people which would then confuse my tree?

Thelma

Thelma Report 16 Aug 2012 18:52

You have never been able to merge names on Genes.Maybe now we have a new tree it will happen in the future.
How does it confuse your tree?

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 16 Aug 2012 20:16

This old chestnut.
In GR you have to have a duplicate name
I add a 2 after the first name of one of them - no records come up as matches

I just put some info in that name info box the true story in the one without a number.

I have so many cousins marrying cousins and sibbling marrying siblings in my tree.

It is only ANC that one can mix and match relations

I already asked GR if they were going to make the changes and they said no :-D :-D

Kense

Kense Report 21 Aug 2012 17:36

The facility should be added soon.

See Estelle's post in:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1308680

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 21 Aug 2012 17:58

Well after seeing Estelle's post - All I can say wonders :-D

RStar

RStar Report 21 Aug 2012 18:54

Im of gypsy blood so you can imagine my dilemma! Many Ripleys and Beeneys in Kent/Sussex intermarried, so I have lots of duplicates in my tree. Never worked out what to do.....

Kense

Kense Report 17 Oct 2012 22:20

In case anyone has not noticed, the facility is now available in the tree.

RStar

RStar Report 9 Dec 2012 15:04

Would we have to delete all our work and re-enter it?

BrianW

BrianW Report 9 Dec 2012 16:49

If it means re-doing my tree on here I don't think I'll bother.
I have practcally stopped adding on here anyway because that problem cropped up several years ago and it was getting too confusing to add to multiple duplicates.
My home tree is on Personal Ancestry File (PAF) and that has always accepted mulpiple links so that's what I keep up to date..

Kense

Kense Report 9 Dec 2012 19:23

No it doesn't mean redoing the tree.

Presumably on the tree you have duplicated the pair of cousins and one pair has more detail than the other (in terms of dates descendants etc).

Take the pair with most detail, one of the pair doesn't have a father and mother, (unless you have duplicated the whole heirarchy). Use the add father and add mother facility (in the edit box at the bottom) for that one, to give them correct parents who should already be in your tree.

Then delete the other pair.