Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph PLogan - electoral roll look up ? staffs

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 19 Aug 2012 00:54

I am trying to find any information on Joseph Patrick Logan, born in Ireland approx 1920, married Eunice Florence Atkinson 1953 Barrow in Furness. They later lived in Wolverhampton and had 2 children Lynda Ann (1954) and Steven Michael (1956). Got divorced around 1960 I think. This is all I know and I dont know where to go from here. Eunice Atkinson was my grandmother, she died earlier this year and I have only just been told about Joseph Patrick Logan. Eunice remarried in 1965 to the man I have always believed to be my biological grandfaher, it is only now that I have been told the truth. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thank you, Steph Lovett

Lynski

Lynski Report 19 Aug 2012 01:24

Hi,

Welcome to the boards.

Have you tried "Search All Trees" under the Search button above?

If you find a possible match you can contact the tree owner to see if you have a connection.

In the meantime, I did find this possible death?

Name: LOGAN, Joseph Patrick
Registration district: Salford
County: Lancashire
Year of registration: 1984
Month of registration: December
Date of Birth:28 September 1921
Volume no: 39
Page no: 931
Reg no: 1284

Flip

Flip Report 19 Aug 2012 09:01

Are you trying to find out more of his ancestry/family, or his life after the divorce?

They married at St Paul's church in Barrow, a copy of the certificate should give details of his father and an address. I can do an electoral roll luck up if it would help - see if he was with his family, but can only get to the records office on Fridays. If you don't have the certificate it will be on film at the RO - let me know if you want the details.

Unknown

Unknown Report 20 Aug 2012 22:19

Thank you for your replies, I didn't expect anything so quick!

Lynski, I have no idea if he's alive or dead, I think until I can get a birth certificate I won't know if this registered death is the man I'm looking for? As I said I'm completely new to this but I'm learning every day, although I spend a lot of time going in circles!

I have sent off for the marriage certificate, should have it next week hopefully. That's great to know the name of the church, and Flip if you could search the electoral roll that would be brilliant!

To be honest I don't know what I'm looking for. Information on his family, where they came from, anything after the divorce, maybe I've got family out there I don't know about?

Thank you so much for your help! I will check the search all trees option and get back to you.

Unknown

Unknown Report 21 Aug 2012 15:56

OK, I've checked the search all trees option, nothing. On records search I found a Joseph P Logan who married Ada Ward in 1979 in Salford, Lancs. Possible2nd marriage? Waiting for the first marriage certificate still, once I've got that and got birth dates and more info I should be able to find out a bit more. I'm getting addicted to this family tree research now! :-)

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 21 Aug 2012 22:13

Lynski's death corresponds to this birth record:

Births Dec 1921
Logan Joseph P Smith Salford 8d 106

Rose

Flip

Flip Report 25 Aug 2012 07:23

Sorry, I should have posted this up sooner - this site has all bmd for the Barrow area, often with extra information especially useful on the older records - it's where I found the marriage & church.

http://www.cumbriabmd.org.uk/index.php

Looks like your grandmother's family were local, her birth recorded 1931 with mmn of Ingham? The site may be useful if you are also tracing Eunice's history.

I can still look at the ER, once you have the marriage certificate - post up his father's name and both their addresses.

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Aug 2012 11:03

yes her family were all local from lancashire and mainly barrow. atkinson on her fathers side and ingham on her mothers.I will be on this cumbria bmd site later,
I have got my basic family tree names, dates etc but not much "real" information about who they were. thank you for your help, I hope to have the marriage certificate this week, as soon as I do I will post the details.
thanks again

Unknown

Unknown Report 25 Aug 2012 21:26

Information for flip, for electoral roll search:

Joseph Patrick Logan
Age in march 1953 - 31
Address 70 Hill Road, Barrow
Father - Michael Joseph Logan

Eunice Florence Atkinson
Age march 1953 - 21
Address 229 Abbey Road, Barrow
Father - William Arthur Heslington Atkinson

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Aug 2012 22:41

That age fits in with the birth I posted earlier.

I take it you now have the marriage cert? Who were the witnesses?

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Aug 2012 22:46

His parents?

Marriages Dec 1920
Logan Michael Smith Salford 8d 263
Smith Sarah A Logan Salford 8d 263

Rose

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Aug 2012 22:59

A tree on Ancestry has Michael dying in 1948:

Deaths Mar 1948
Logan Michael J 49 Manchester 10e 469

Rose

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Aug 2012 14:50

Thanks for that information Rose, I will look into it. However the Joseph Patrick Logan I am looking for was from Ireland not Salford. Thanks though.

Flip

Flip Report 26 Aug 2012 15:11

I'll check out those addresses on Friday, the only day I can get to the RO, and post up what I find. Both those addresses are in St Paul's parish.

Unknown

Unknown Report 26 Aug 2012 15:27

Thank you flip!!!

Flip

Flip Report 31 Aug 2012 09:01

One question, why are you convinced he was born in Ireland? It's just I thought my grandfather was from Scotland, but when I started researching him it turns out he was born in Barrow but his parents were from Scotland.

Will be at the RO later today and will post up what I find.

Unknown

Unknown Report 31 Aug 2012 10:22

That is what my mother told me. Also apparently after my grandmother divorced him she always hated the Irish because of him! Not saying it's impossible that he was born somewhere else, just going on what I've been told.

Flip

Flip Report 31 Aug 2012 17:18

OK, you can only go on what you've been told - but I went to a convent school and we celebrated St Patrick's day with an England/Ireland hockey match, and I don't think any of the "Irish" were actually born there - their families originally came from Ireland though!

Back to electoral rolls, no luck with 70 Hill Road I'm afraid. The only recorded occupants 1952/3/4 were Maurice Martin-Scott and Doris Elizabeth Martin-Scott. However the houses on Hill Road are quite large so it's possible he was lodging with them at the time of his marriage.

229 Abbey Road, has William Arthur Atkinson, Forence Atkinson, Eric Heslington Atkinson & Eunice Florence Atkinson in 1952/3, but just William and Florence in 1954.

I've got some more info, but dinner is ready - will post up later.

Added - Eric is Eunice's brother, but birth reg Tadcaster, Q2 1928.

Flip

Flip Report 31 Aug 2012 18:29

A bit more info for you - the ER's didn't take long so I looked at some parish records.

Joseph Patrick was a thermal engineer and his father a moulder. Eunice Florence Atkinson was a teacher, and her father an insurance agent. (All from marriage certificate)

Eunice's parents William Arthur Atkinson and Forence Ingam were married at St Matthews 19/4/1926, he was a commercial traveller aged 28, of 12 Settle Street, father George Richard Atkinson, also a commercial traveller. Florence was 25 of 39 Roose Road, father Alfred Ingham a builder. The witnesses were W A H? Atkinson & Florence Atkinson.

William Arthur Atkinson was born in Barrow in 1897, and the mmn has been mistranscribed as Wynett, it shoud be Mynott or Mynett. His parents George Richard Atkinson and Phoebe Mynett were married at St Matthews 2/9/1896. He was 22, a grinder of 16 York Street, father Heslingon? (Not clear) Atkinson, a grocer. She was 25 of 61 Duke Street, father William Mynett a mariner. The witnesses were Samuel Swindlehurst/William Arthur ? (unreadable)/Sarah Mynett.

You will find Florence age 11 on the 1911 census at 39 Roose Road, with her parents. She was born in Blackpool, father born Lancashire & mother born Little Eccleston, Lancs.

You will find William with his parents in 1911 at James Watt Terrace, he was born Barrow, but his father was born Hull and mother born Pelsell, Staffordshire.

That's about it from the limited searches done at the records office.

Added: Forgot to mention, there was a correction to Joseph/Eunice marriage. It was added in the margin the witnesses were E H Atkinson (her brother?) and Audrey Pounder.

Flip

Flip Report 31 Aug 2012 18:40

To add, I think you should check out the Salford birth posted earlier in the thread by Rose. I can't see a birth for Joseph Patrick in Ireland in the right time frame. Also, there is a death for a Michael Joseph Logan in Salford in 1983, giving a dob of 17/11/1905 - could be his father.

It's not that common a name combination, but I think the birth of Michael Joseph is a year out, the birth is registered Salford in Q4/1904. This is the only Michael Logan born 1904-6.

If the above is correct, the family were on the 1911 census at 15 Rosamund Street, Salford,

Thomas, 38 Railway Porter born Askeaton Co Limerick
Margaret, 28 born Cahir, Co Tipperary
Michael 6 Salford
Mary 4 Salford
Margaret 2 Salford
Thomas O'Brien 30, railway porter, Cahir, Co Tipperary.

A bit for you to check out!