Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

National Probate Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 2 Sep 2012 10:55

If anyone has access to the England and Wales National Probate Register 1858-1966 I would be grateful if they could look up any info on Sydney John Spencer, who died in 1952. Bob Waight

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 2 Sep 2012 11:07

Did you mean to say the one that died in Brighton?

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
about Sydney John Spencer
Name: Sydney John Spencer
Probate Date: 11 Jul 1952
Death Date: 19 Apr 1952
Death Place: Brighton, England
Registry: Lewes

George

If this is the corrct one i can send you the image via the GR system by PM

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Sep 2012 11:07

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
about Sydney John Spencer
Name: Sydney John Spencer
Probate Date: 11 Jul 1952
Death Date: 19 Apr 1952
Death Place: Brighton, England
Registry: Lewes

of 81 Riley Road Brighton
to Albert Everton, Slaughterhouse manager
Effects £367 4s

Andy

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 2 Sep 2012 11:30

Blimey, that was quick. Thanks, yes that is the right one. I wonder who Albert Everton was. Sydney's wife pre-deceased him, but I am fairly sure he had 2 or 3 children. Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Sep 2012 12:38

He could be an in-law or a grandchild or some other relative? A copy of the Will may give further clues

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 3 Sep 2012 20:18

Where might I obtain a copy of the Will?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Sep 2012 20:26

form PAS1 from this link. It costs £6

http://hmctscourtfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=739

The address is given on the form

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 10 Sep 2012 19:21

Copy of Will sent for. Thanks everyone. Bob

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 30 Sep 2012 13:43

The above Will has arrived. The other name was the executor, not the legatee. He left what little he had to the same person who reported his death, and who lived at the same address. I think she must have been his partner. There was no further info on the Will, it was just a basic form with the bare details. Bob

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 30 Sep 2012 19:02

That's a shame - a recently received one of mine explained that Mrs R was in fact Miss S and that he was still married to the original Mrs R. No wonder there wasn't a death and remarriage!

At least he made sure that his Estate went to the person he wanted.

You could get Brighton Library to check the address as far back as their first joint occupancy, and possibly look for her own death to see how she was recorded and if she also left a Will.