Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bexley Heath local knowledge.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Luckylainey

Luckylainey Report 6 Sep 2012 10:15

Hi I am trying to find a burial place for a relative who died in Dartford district in 1920. I know she lived with her husband at 29 Douglas Road Upper Welling between 1916-1920. He was C of E. Not sure of her religion as they married in Dartford Registry Office. Does anyone with local knowledge know where I could start looking for her burial. BTW Her name was Hannah Eliza Lansley nee Allen.

Many thanks

Lainey :-)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Sep 2012 11:05

Well Wickham lane and Upper Wickham lane lead up to Welling from Abbey Wood.

My sister is buried in
Plumstead Cemetery
Address Cemetery Road
(off Wickham Lane)
Abbey Wood
SE2 0NS
lel nos: 020 8854 0785

thats the nearest big municipal cemetery

You could try the local Council Parks and cemeteries dept giving them the deatisl from the death cert

think it might be
http://www.bexley.gov.uk

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Sep 2012 11:07

Theres also
Eltham Crematorium
Crown Woods Way, London SE9 2AZ

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Sep 2012 11:08

There are 2 cemetaries in Wickham Lane and then there is also the cemetery in Charlton - so there is a choice of 3 in the area....

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2012 11:09

Possible Bexley Borough ones

Bexleyheath Cemetery, Banks lane, Broadway (1879)
Erith Cemetery, Brook Street (1894)
Sidcup Cemetery Foots Cray lane (1912)

Bexleyheath Library hold the burial records for the Bexleyheath and Erith Cemeteries - they may have the Sidcup ones as well. You need to check

Local Studies and Archive Centre
Central Library
Townley Road
Bexleyheath DA6 7HJ
Tel:020 3045 3369
Fax:020 8303 7872
Email: [email protected]

They might charge if they do a look up for you.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2012 11:12

Eltham Crem and Cem is a fairly recent addition to deceasedonline - couldn't see a record for Hannah Lansley

Edit - Plumstead Cem email address [email protected]

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Sep 2012 11:13

Charlton is a bit of a way from Welling.

I come from Charlton.

both my parents were cremated at Eltham Crematoria

Luckylainey

Luckylainey Report 6 Sep 2012 11:22

WOW what a quick response! Thank you so much for the help. I have now checked with Bexley Heath Cemetaries and there is no burial there for Hannah.

I am very grateful of the help as I do not know the area and am getting quite confused.

Thanks again,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2012 11:25

???

How did you manage that in under 30 mins? If they are on line, the link would be rather handy!

Luckylainey

Luckylainey Report 6 Sep 2012 11:33

I rang them up and asked them. I got the phone number from the council website.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2012 11:39

:-) Thanks - thought you might have found something new

Luckylainey

Luckylainey Report 6 Sep 2012 11:42

I have now phoned Greenwich cemetaries and asked them for the burial search. The gentleman on the phone was very helpful, he took my details and said they will get back to me. Looks like she could be in Plumstead cemetary so thank you all for the pointer in the right direction. I see by their website they charge £49 for a search. OMG I know this is an expensive hobby but that is ridiculous, I am hoping I will get away with that.

+++DetEcTive+++ many thanks for looking at deceasedonline for me. I appreciate your help.

Shirley and Pigletspal, Thank you x

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 6 Sep 2012 11:58

No problem - OH's family moved to the area c 1800. There are still close relatives living there now :-D

Although we moved away about 1981, we only live c20min drive down the road. I keep nagging him to get his camera out to visit Bexleyheath Cemetery, but its not high on his list of priorities :-|

Hope you manage to track her down, but don't automatically assume there will be a headstone.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Sep 2012 12:26

The Councils though are very good . even if she is in a Public grave they can give you the Row and Plot number.

My paternal gran died in 1907 and is buried in Charlton Cemetery and Greenwich Council gave me the row and plot number and the mobile number for the cemetery supervisor. We went up to the Cemetery from Rainham Kent and the supervisor looked i n a big ledger and found her plot and even who she was buried with ,He took us over to a greened area and counted out the rows and plots amongst other headstoned graves and I put some flowers on her grave from her sons family that she didnt know. My Dad was born 3 weeks after she died in 1907.

SO Municipal Cemeteries keep very good records

Linda G

Linda G Report 8 Sep 2012 11:42

We live in Barnehurst/Bexleyheath and both my Mum and Dad were cremated at Eltham Crematorium

Linda

Luckylainey

Luckylainey Report 14 Sep 2012 11:11

Thank you all. I know know she died on 8 May 1920 at her home address of 29 Douglas Road, Welling, Bexley. She was not buried at St Michael's churchyard so I am hoping to find her in Plumstead cemetary, just waiting to hear back from the Cemetary's dept at the local council.

Lainey

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 28 Sep 2012 19:49

In case you haven't heard back from Plumstead.....

www.deceasedonline.com have added Plumstead Cemetery,
There are 56,400 burials and the data available span the period June 1890 to December 2000. The records available comprise scans of burial registers, computerised records, details of grave occupants, maps of grave locations and some photographs of memorials and headstones.
You can search for free and are given date of death and date of burial. If you want to download a copy of the burial register, then you have to buy credits.

If you have a number of relatives in SE London or NW Kent, its well worth bookmarking the site.