Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Certificates

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

julie

julie Report 17 Sep 2012 17:29

Hi, new to Genes reuinited so in need of help. i have found Birth records for some of my family but I cant find a link to their parents, would getting a copy of the actual Birth certificate help/show me for example the mother and the maiden name. if so how do I get a copy of a birth Certificate
Many thnaks
julie

jax

jax Report 17 Sep 2012 17:33

Are these living people or your ancestors?

certs can be ordered from GRO at £9,25 each

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Sep 2012 17:34

Hi Julie.
Assuming this is England/Wales 1837-present, you need to order certs online from GRO.

www.gro.gov.uk

They cost £9.25.

They will show mother's full maiden name.

Jan

julie

julie Report 17 Sep 2012 17:42

Thanks very much and I will have a go. Is it only the Birth certificate that will show me a maiden name/family ancestory?

Andrew

Andrew Report 17 Sep 2012 17:49

The cert will show childs name, place of birth and date. Mothers name with her maiden name and fathers name/occupation if he is known.

Andy

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Sep 2012 17:50

In England/Wales, yes. I think Scottish records such as marriages and deaths hold more info.
After 1911/12 mother's maiden name is shown on indexes, as you probably know.
Jan

julie

julie Report 17 Sep 2012 17:55

Thanks again, just ordered my First Birth Certificate.. this could turn out quite expensive ;-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Sep 2012 18:04

You're right to a point Julie. It's true that certs are necessary here & there to make sure you don't go wrong.
You don't usually need certs for absolutely everything however, once you have some hard facts to work with. Unusual names help too!
I also suggest you try finding other members who share the same family - I have exchanged info with lots of distant relatives, and by helping each other it cuts down on costs. Fun too!
Jan

Rambling

Rambling Report 17 Sep 2012 18:05

Julie, don't forget to ask on here for example if you have London ancestors, as some of the marriage certs ( and baptisms) are on Ancestry and 'may' save a bit of money.

julie

julie Report 17 Sep 2012 22:27

Thank you everyone. I'm sure I will be back with more questions and really appreciate the time you take to respond. :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Sep 2012 23:17

As you haven't given a time-scale, the info you have been given is not as specific as it could be..........

In which year was the birth registered?

julie

julie Report 18 Sep 2012 09:14

The Person I am tracing was born circa 1910 and Im trying to find out her parents as the 1911 census says she was a grandchild at that address and obviously the birth record doesnt list the mother's name. The grandparents name is not the same as the grandchilds so my research has me to belive that the grandaprents had been married before but following the grnadmorther side I can find no recollection of her before she married the grandfather, so Im now going down the birth certificate route. Hope that made sense!

Andrew

Andrew Report 18 Sep 2012 09:16

If you care to post the names, then people could take a look for you. Its amazing what turns up with afresh pair of eyes.

Andy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 18 Sep 2012 09:25

Each child has two sets of grandparents.......the maternal ones - by definition - do not have the same surname as their grandchild

Have you tried looking for a marriage for the child's surname to that of the grandparents?

Have you looked at 1901 to see who was in the grandparents' household? A potential parent for the child could be there..........

BUT....why not let us try to help you?

Or do you prefer not to?

julie

julie Report 18 Sep 2012 14:33

No Im happy for any Help. My Grandmother Name is Alice Eliza Woolgar from Wellington or Madeley in Shropshire (DOB 1910 Nov) and so far I have found her registered with her grandparents John Edwards and Rosannah Edwards (this is where I get Stuck, cant find much about Rosannah, ie her name before Edwards apart from DOB 1857 and Died 1926/7) It seems that Rosannah did have a Daughter called Fanny (also known as Charlotte) Woolgar at the same adress in 1911, so either Fanny was Alices Mother (unmarried?) or just had the same dad? My Dad was always under the impression that Fanny adopted my Grandmother (His mom) so this is why I am intreguied to find out who my actual great grandmother was. Any help much appreciated, tips on where to look next etc of even any findings

Flip

Flip Report 18 Sep 2012 14:57

Firstly, if your grandmother was adopted it is highly unlikely you will ever find her true parentage - official adoption didn't start until 1927 and anything before this was "unofficial" and not recorded. It was often, but not always, within the famiily - my great aunt was "adopted" in 1911 and there is nothing on her original parentage to be found because we don't know her original name - even though we know the parish she came from.

Do you have her on the 1911 census?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Sep 2012 15:08

I'm a bit confused (as always!).
Sorry if I am missing it, but do you have her birth cert?

Births Dec 1910 (>99%)
WOOLGAR Alice E Madeley 6a 524

Jan

Flip

Flip Report 18 Sep 2012 15:19

No Jan you are never confused! I took this on face value and assumed (obviously wrongly) she was adopted, from what Julie had posted.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Sep 2012 15:23

Thank goodness for that Flip. As I was born blonde and am now grey sometimes I think there is little hope for me! :-D :-D

jax

jax Report 18 Sep 2012 15:26

Why would a 17 year old adopt a baby?

1911 England Census
about Alice Eliza Woolgar
Name: Alice Eliza Woolgar
Age in 1911: 4/12
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1910
Relation to Head: Grand Daughter
Birth Place: Dawley, Salop, England
Civil parish: Dawley
County/Island: Shropshire