Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 17 Sep 2012 20:12

I WAS RECENTLY RE LOOKING THROUGH THE CENSUS PAGES FOR MY FAMILY AND DECIDED TO LOOK UP ON TWO SISTERS WHO WERE BOTH EMPLOYED AS SERVANT AND COOK AT AN INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL
SO I LOOKED THROUGH THE INMATES,INDUSTRIAL SCHOOLS WERE THE FIRST BORSTALS,WHERE YOUNGSTERS WHO WERE IN TROUBLE WAS KEPT OUT OF PRISONS AND TAUGHT A TRADE,
THERE WAS PAGES AND PAGES OF NAMES AGE AND THATS IT..LOST KIDS ,,SO MAYBE IF YOU CANT FIND ONE OF YOUR YOUNGSTERS THEY MAY JUST HAVE BEEN AN INMATE IN AN INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL.

Suzanne

Suzanne Report 17 Sep 2012 21:53

My g grandmother was an inmate in the industriel school in liverpool,her sister was adopted,think that says it all dont you. :-D

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Sep 2012 22:23

I don't think it was quite so simple. Not all the children had committed an offence. See:

http://www.hiddenlives.org.uk/articles/raggedschool.html

'The Industrial Schools Act

At first like the ragged schools the Industrial Schools were run on a voluntary basis. However in 1857 the Industrial Schools Act was passed. This gave magistrates the power to sentence children between the ages of 7 and 14 years old to a spell in one of these institutions. The act dealt with those children who were brought before the courts for vagrancy in other words for being homeless. In 1861 a further act was passed and different categories of children were included:

Any child apparently under the age of fourteen found begging or receiving alms [money or goods given as charity to the poor].
Any child apparently under the age of fourteen found wandering and not having any home or visible means of support, or in company of reputed thieves.
Any child apparently under the age of twelve who, having committed an offence punishable by imprisonment or less.
Any child under the age of fourteen whose parents declare him to be beyond their control.'

Jan

KazzeeH

KazzeeH Report 18 Sep 2012 01:30

My Great Aunt was removed for her home by the courts when she was 8 years old and placed in an industrial school. It was through no fault of her own, but through fault of her mother and/or father. She remained there until she was 16. Upon her discharge she went in to some form of local employment (no record of what it might have been) however, she was not obligated to stay there. It is after this that we have lost track of her.

I found the hidden lives website very interesting, unfortunately the industrial school my great Aunt was in isn't listed, but wow..some of the lives these children lead is gut wrenching.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Sep 2012 14:05

A g/guncle of mine was in an Industrial School - his was an Industrial School for Crippled Boys - where disabled children were taught a trade - he was taught saddle making.

So not all criminal - but many were just put there as they 'could' have turned to crime without this help.