Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Burial or cremation

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tracy

Tracy Report 24 Sep 2012 15:26

Hi

I have details of various family members year of death and district where the death was registered but I started to wonder how I find out which church they were buried in and then wondered how you know if someone was buried or cremated.

Any tips would be very welcome.

Thanks
Tracy

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 24 Sep 2012 15:33

depends on which part of the country you are searching.

some councils have a bereavement services section and they list burial and cemation records.

jansmith

jansmith Report 24 Sep 2012 16:38

you could have a look for their names on this site

https://www.deceasedonline.com/

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 25 Sep 2012 12:26

Perhaps try phoning local cemeteries and crematoria as to their records.

Sometimes people are buried in the churchyard of the church where they were either baptised or married - if the church has a churchyard of course.

Do any older members of your family have an idea ? Good luck. Cx

Tracy

Tracy Report 25 Sep 2012 16:25

Thanks for all your help.

Unfortunatelly I can only get back to my Grandparents so it's a bit tough with out getting actual death certs which obviously gets expensive to get burial or cremation details or locations.

jansmith

jansmith Report 25 Sep 2012 18:49

If you want to get further back you could post names on here and we can try to help with your family

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 25 Sep 2012 19:30

if you need our help , just post on the Find Ancestors board, we are all willing to get you further in your research.

jan x

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 25 Sep 2012 20:23

And on top of all the burial/cremation is the more recent (20-30 years) of burying cremated remains in graveyards etc.,

My g/aunt and her son were both cremated and their remains are in the same graveyard in Reigate. With lovely plaques on their graves.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Sep 2012 11:58

Check the NBI site for coverage............

It is run by volunteer transcribers, so not all areas/time-scales are covered yet

Finding actual potential locations for burial is difficult without knowing the deceased's last address......and even that isn't foolproof.

Many people are/were buried in places far removed from where they died.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Sep 2012 12:18

As Reggie had said the area a person died in is not a definive indicator of where they are buried.

In London many people moved across the river when marrying so an E. Londoner could have died in Sth London and then be buried back in E. London

G/Uncle born and lived in W. London, his father was staying in Hove (with his father) G/Uncle needed to have a holiday by the coast so he went to stay with father and grandfather, however, his TB got worse so he was sent to the TB hospital in Margate, where he died. But although he died in Margate and never lived permanently im Hove, this is where he is buried.

Tracy

Tracy Report 26 Sep 2012 13:45

Thank you all for your help.

I have managed to find my Gradfather's death cert but it's actually his dads my great grandfather I'm struggling with -

Harry Kent born around 1890 (assuming roughly same age as his wife) married Adelaide Wright in 1912 and lived in Surbiton but I don't know anything more about him and really struggle dto get anything on census records.

Anything that people can assist. I'll also post on the find Ancestors borad as well.

jansmith

jansmith Report 26 Sep 2012 14:09

looks like death index if died in same area as wife

Name: KENT, HarryRegistration district: [?] Kingston upon Thames County: SurreyYear of registration: 1967Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar Age at death:80 Volume no: 5C Page no: 881

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Sep 2012 17:05

No, Tracy, please do NOT post a duplicate.

You will annoy people if you do that

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Sep 2012 17:07

I was too late.....................

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1311260