Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

A connection on Ancestry at last!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 26 Sep 2012 09:17

After many years at this I have at last found someone who is researching my line. I very excitedly clicked on the contact button only to find I have to subscribe. Can't afford this at the moment. Any other way of getting in touch with the other person?
Any suggestions most welcome
Marion

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2012 09:21

If you want to give the details of how to find this person, any one of us would be happy to send a message on your behalf.

If you told us the details of one of the mutual relatives, and their Board name, we can identify the correct tree.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 26 Sep 2012 10:46

Marion,

Ancestry offer a free 14 day trial. You have to give them your bank details ect but as long as you cancel your membership before the 14 days are up then nothing will be taken from your account. Worth a go as within the 14 days you will be able to contact the other person who is researching your line and possibly find out other useful information from the records Ancestry' has.

Good luck.

Marion

Marion Report 26 Sep 2012 10:51

That would be wonderful, thank you so much.

I'm having trouble accessing what I saw this morning but from memory the person with a tree connection is Lisa Marie Simmonds.

On ancestry site it is written as lisamariesimmonds or lisamarie simmonds.

A couple of the people we have in common are Frederick Arthur Simmonds, born 1886 Tottenham Middx and Frederick William Simmonds born 3rd March 1849 in Tottenham Middx. My maiden name was Marion Grace Simmonds and Fred Wm Simmonds was my Great Grandfather.

Hope you can help. Many thanks
Marion

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2012 11:02

OK, got it. Its a private members tree

lisamariesimmonds - Simmonds Family Tree.

Brad Selling also has your family, with Fredrick William Simmonds dying Age: 80 Canterbury, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. Co-incidence or error?

If you want to PM a message and your email adress, I'll pass it on to Lisa.

Marion

Marion Report 26 Sep 2012 11:20

Thank you for doing this. Very kind.
Have PMd my email address. Fred Wm Simmonds did die in Sydney, NSW and Brad Sellings is known to me. Half of the family went out to Australia approx 1910-1912 and he's from the Aussie branch.

I do hope Lisa Marie (keep thinking of Presley!) will want to make contact.
Kind regards
Marion

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2012 11:30

Message sent to Lisa. Good luck! :-)

Marion

Marion Report 26 Sep 2012 14:59

Thank you. Fingers crossed!!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 26 Sep 2012 17:41

If you are in the UK then you can use Ancestry for free at the public library. Take a USB key to save stuff on.

Marion

Marion Report 14 Nov 2012 19:19

Just thought I'd update on this. Sadly Lisa Marie Simmonds didn't answer the +++DetEcTive+++ message BUT today I have made contact with her Aunt after finding our trees matching on Ancestry. I signed up for a monthly subscription last night and made contact by email today. She was thrilled to hear from me having given up on trying to trace her cousins only recently. We have started filling in gaps in our research and hopefully will stay in touch.
The moral of this tale is never give up!

By the way, thanks to RolloTheRed for the above info. I didn't know that.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Nov 2012 21:21

Thank you Marion - its always interesting to know the outcome. :-D