Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adding information to tree on Ancestry

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lesley

Lesley Report 26 Sep 2012 18:22

I sent someone a contributor invite to view a family tree on Ancestry., but they said they can't add any names etc to the tree, which is what I was hoping they could do.
Even as an editor they can't add anything
Is there any way of sending an invite so that they can add names etc,

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Sep 2012 20:06

That's odd. The blurb for Editor does say Add and Edit people.

One solution might be to tell them your registration details to allow them to sign in as 'you' but would you really want to??

The sites' help desk phone number is 0800 404 9723. If you decided to phone them, it would be interesting to hear their solution.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Sep 2012 20:56

According to the Ancestry help page I found, Editor: Gives the invitee the ability to edit or delete any person in your tree. It does not mention adding new names.

The other roles are

Contributor: Contributors have the ability to upload photos or stories to your tree, but cannot make edits to the tree

Guest: Gives this person you've invited access to view your tree and leave comments

Lesley

Lesley Report 26 Sep 2012 22:31

+++Detective+++

Yes it does say that.

No, I don't want to give them my registration details for Ancestry.

Oh thank you for this useful number. I will let you know what happens

Lesley

Lesley Report 26 Sep 2012 22:34

InspectorGreenPen

So they can Edit the tree then.

Yes, I tried contributor too, but that hasn't worked either.

It doesn't look as though they can add to the tree then

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Sep 2012 05:03

Do you really really want someone else to add names to your tree??

or to edit what is on there???

I most certainly would NOT!!

How do you know that they have researched thoroughly the names they enter or edit?

How do you know that names added or edited are really "yours"?

I'd get them to email me with the information, and then I myself would research them and check they were valid additions to my tree

Similarly, I would never dream of editing or adding to someone else's tree ................... I would either email them OR add a comment to a particular person.

sylvia

david1947

david1947 Report 27 Sep 2012 06:53

Look but dont touch comes to mind.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 27 Sep 2012 11:21

Look at the duff info on Wikipediea where anyone can add anything they like.

There are people out there who add bogus info for fun just to see if that info is ever mentioned by the media.

I would NEVER allow anyone to touch my tree. I have spent a lot of time and a vast amount of money to ensure that my tree although small is as accurate as I can make it.

As Sylvia has said, let them view your tree email additions/amendments so you can verify and then add when you are happy.

wisechild

wisechild Report 27 Sep 2012 14:05

I have access to edit several trees on Ancestry & am in close contact with the tree owners, having established our relationship to each other.
What I always do if I find new info for their branch is e mail the info to them & let them add it to their tree when they have checked it out.
They do the same for me.
I get so frustrated when I see glaring errors on some trees & when I contact the person to give them the correct info, I am totally ignored.
Have got to the stage now where I don´t even bother to mention it.

pelo

pelo Report 3 Oct 2012 04:24

Lesley,

I have a work in progress on Ancestry. I found out very soon after starting it the very real problem of someone adding to my tree & their absolute refusal to remove the addition which is totally incorrect. That was when I first knew someone else could add to my tree.

In spite of several polite requests it hasn't been removed, only built on with names I've never heard of. As the parents are my late grandparents whom I saw weekly, my father's parents & they & I live on the other side of the world, there is adamant refusal to remove the names. I now have deleted that tree & closed that a/c.
I now work on the same relationship as "wisechild" & all is fine. Lois

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 3 Oct 2012 08:49

Any Ancestry member can post comments to any public tree.

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Oct 2012 11:28

Yes, but there´s a difference between adding a comment & adding new family members to someone else´s tree.
I often get messages from Ancestry saying that new info has been added to my tree & have lost count of the number of times I have looked up an ancestor & found that siblings &/or children have been added however remote the relationship is to me.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Oct 2012 13:15

Are people getting confused between the tree which they are building, and one that someone else (in parallel) is also building?

I can't understand how someone has add a name to someone elses tree unless they have the log in details. Surely as the Tree Owner, you can delete the addition in your own tree?

We do have to remember that ‘our’ relatives are also someone else’s, even as a remote twig.

Yes, other people have made stupid errors, as in all probability have we. If there is a serious disagreement, then it is up to both parties to purchase the necessary certificates to prove one way or the other.

Sometimes, you have to agree to differ, especially when having to rely on parish records with identically named people being baptised or married within a couple of years of each other and in the same general area.

As we know from this site, many people start their research with gusto, only to loose interest. If they are able to answer messages, but choose to ignore them, then it’s their loss not ours.

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Oct 2012 13:57

The tree holder can invite others to edit their trees.
Once the invitation has been accepted, the other person just has to click on a drop down menu to access the tree.
No need for passwords etc.
Sorry but I can´t agree to differ with someone who has a woman married to 2 men at the same time & having children with both of them.
Especially when I hold all the relevant certs.

DF

DF Report 3 Oct 2012 20:17

If you are "invited" to be an Editor to someones tree - and the tree owner WANTS that - whats the problem? I got my friend interested in doing her tree (after "boring" her with my family history stories) - I had the knowledge, she was a complete beginner - as an editor I could add things that I had found with my Worldwide Ancestry & FMP membership - she could only afford basic Ancestry membership. I was helping, more accurately than if she was struggling to do it as a beginner - she bought certificates where needed. Why the shock horror of someone having access? We talk about additions on a daily basis and spend hours searching for her brickwalls together. She has learnt as we go along. Can't see the problem at all.
Deb

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Oct 2012 06:36

DF

There is a difference between

"If you are "invited" to be an Editor to someones tree - and the tree owner WANTS that - whats the problem? "

and the situation where someone is adding names to a tree when the tree owner does NOT want it!

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 4 Oct 2012 08:30

GRU have said that they are planning to offer both collaboration and multiple trees at some point and that the shift to the new code base was needed to allow this. Time will tell. Of course if the new fashion never to respond to messages or share trees continues to spread then there will not be much point.

With Ay the tree owner can easily change the shared status up or down or even un invite in a few mouse clicks using the tree manager. The ability to collaborate is one of the best features of Ay. As you can have as many trees as you like it is perfectly possible to have a shared tree and a private tree dealing overlapping - it is pretty ez to synch.

A lot of people on GRU seem to assume that people always study their own FH and indeed that it is somehow "owned" by descendents. Not at all in the case of public records. Frequent basis of Ay trees are (a) one name studies (b) location studies and (c) historical events. With Ay it is ez to collect in a tree branches which do not connect at first or at all. That is impossible with GRU.

DF

DF Report 4 Oct 2012 14:35

Hi Sylvia,
How on earth does anyone have access to a tree that the "owner" doesn't want? Just "uninvite" them - sorted! They can still give "Guest" access so the person can look but not alter anything.
Deb

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Oct 2012 05:20

Hi DF

well, if one assumes that A gave B access to the tree ............ and B then makes changes to the tree, which A did not want, but B refuses to a) remove them and b) continues to make changes

then one has a problem, I would think!

Rollo ...............

It really makes no difference to me whether GR makes those changes or not.

I still will not allow anyone access to my tree.

sylvia

wisechild

wisechild Report 5 Oct 2012 07:08

If B adds something to A,s tree that A doesn´t want or agree with, A just deletes it & tells B why.