Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Leiston Pub

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Garin

Garin Report 1 Oct 2012 16:17

Looking for any info on the White Lion Pub which seems to have been in Valley Road , Leiston , Suffolk . Seems to be a pub involved in smuggling.

Garin

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Oct 2012 17:56

Have you tried a google search?
Jan

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 1 Oct 2012 17:56

This is the only ref I can find via Google.

http://www.suffolkcamra.co.uk/pubs/pub/2389

It's worth looking at the links which show up if you Google 'Leiston Family History' - including this one
http://www.suffolkfhs.co.uk/osc/product_info.php?products_id=307

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 1 Oct 2012 17:57

Great minds Jan.

Waving at you :-D :-D

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Oct 2012 17:58

Waving back!
Jan :-P

Joy

Joy Report 1 Oct 2012 19:16

And try http://pubshistory.com/Suffolk/ please.

* waves .... :)

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 1 Oct 2012 19:35

Waving back at you Joy.

I don't know!!!!

I wave at Jan and look how she responds :-|

Just you wait young Jan. I'll think of something to tell those library staff to get you thrown out :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Garin

Garin Report 2 Oct 2012 10:34

Thankyou for your kind help.
I,ve looked through these sites you,ve all mentioned and quite a few other suffolk sites. My brother has been to the Leiston Long Shop Museum and the local town council and drew a blank also.
I was born in the property in Valley Road which was the supposed White Lion Inn. My parents rented it from a local cornershop owner in the late 60s in which time the cellar was bricked up along with tales of smugglers tunnels.
We'll keep following the links in hope !

Garin :-)

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 3 Oct 2012 19:05

Wonder if it would be worth contacting some local homes to ask if you could see if any residents would be happy to chat about the area. Have you taken a look at the architecture of the property to see if it has any look about it? I found a place in Birmingham quite by chance. I had a real good look at the road it was on using Google Earth and Google Maps and spotted just the smallest clue that the house has been previously used as an ale house.