Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query from an Australian contact

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2012 09:20

We’ve been talking about prioritising search results on Ancestry where you can sign in to overseas sites with a ww membership, and she has raised a query about Findmypast.

“People tell me if I join from Australia, I get different views, than if I join from UK even if I join the Premium subscriptions.”

Any overseas opinions? Is it possible to make a one-click choice when on the site to change the priority?

Thank you

Gai

Gai Report 16 Oct 2012 09:31

Hi Detective,

It used to be that FMP Australia only had Australian records and if you wanted the UK records you had to join FMP UK.

I go caught out with FMP Australia this way.

You now can join FMP Australia and get world records for around $A250 a year which is $200 cheaper than joining Ancestry with a world wide sub.

Gai

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2012 09:40

Thanks Gai

When you search, is there an option to chose records from a different country other than the one you've joined through, as first results?

DET

Gai

Gai Report 16 Oct 2012 09:56

Hi DET

I don't have FMP world sub as I ended up joining FMP UK when my sub was up with the Australian site.

I don't think the world sub option has been around that long on FMP.

Gai

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2012 09:58

Ok, thanks :-)

Susan

Susan Report 16 Oct 2012 10:29

Hi Det

If you remember back a bit a few of us got FMP for $57 world cover special offer at the time for the US FMP.
It took a bit of getting used to using as I have always used Ancestry.

I can search the Whole World but at the start of the signing in prosess it ask'd me seeing as I was form Australia I would be better going to the OZ site so it let me do this .
I had the choice of the US or OZ site on the signing in page.

I don't know if this helps or not ...I find the site quite good but I still prefer Ancestry

Sue :-)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1304626

26/7/2012 when the offer was taken up .

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2012 10:34

Thanks Susan - I'll have a read through the linked thread :-)

Since I've only got the 1911 from fmp, I couldn't advise

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Oct 2012 10:47

Susan's last post on the thread seems to answer the question, although I have suggested that the contact double checks with fmp via facebook.

Thank you

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2012 05:08

I'm still having problems with that fmp ................. I joined under the same special offer that Susan did.

It seems to want always to direct me to the US records ......... that's the default position, and you end up clicking on so many filters, that I always seem to end up with it.

Susan

Susan Report 17 Oct 2012 09:14

Hi Sylvia

AS I said previously ...FMP US asked me and I state

"Seeing as you are from Australia it would be better to use the Australian site ".

I did have the choice to click on US or OZ sites before I did my sign in.

When I have signed in I can search anywhere in the world

It has been very good for me and so cheap.

Still not as good as A........ :-D

Sue :-D