Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census transcriptions free in GR till 18/11

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 16 Oct 2012 12:12

"For a limited time only, view 1911 Census transcriptions for FREE. Don't miss out, offer ends on 18th November 2012
Terms and conditions apply"
(on the left of the screen).

jax

jax Report 16 Oct 2012 15:02

Just had a look Joy

No wonder when they are c&p the transcriptions are a foot long :-D

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 16 Oct 2012 21:59

:-) :-)

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 16 Oct 2012 22:56

I have just written to make a complaint to GR about the census return pages. I bought credits to view the original documents but was very disappointed when I printed off the copy. There is an advertisement for Friends Reunited that runs vertically between two of the columns. It is not visible online and only appears when the census page is printed, thus not even giving you the option to remove it beforehand.

If the intention was that the documents should be only to view, then why provide the option of a "Print Record" button? It is so frustrating as the printed copies are illegible because of this ad.

philmoir

philmoir Advisor Report 17 Oct 2012 00:25

Nannylicious, To be honest the best way to print any image from the web (and this is primarily speaking from a Chrome user's point of view - at this hour I'm not checking all browsers) is right click on it, select open in new tab, the image will display completely on its own, and then press CTRL+P, this will work with almost any site and removes all the headers, footers, etc.

Personally, I've started an internal campaign to give print options on most of the relevant pages, with the print excluding ads, menus, links, etc. So that you and I can just print the detail for our research files.

PS I tried and tried but couldn't get any Friends Reunited ad to appear, Are you using .co.za?

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 18 Oct 2012 11:31

:-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Oct 2012 15:14

Phil as your sister company FindmyPast has an excellent Print of all census records I would suggest you look at the available print page on there and take notes.

It is well laid out and easy to read.

:-)

Nannylicious

Nannylicious Report 20 Oct 2012 23:54

Thank you Phil for your reply. I'm not sure what you mean by .co.za. Basically, what happens is that when I pay to view the original transcript, the handwritten census return page appears on the screen. No problem so far.

However, it doesn't seem to matter whether I press the print button (top left) or the print icon (top right), the ad. appears on the printout. As I said, it cannot be seen while viewing the page on the screen, it only appears once I have printed off the page.

jax

jax Report 21 Oct 2012 00:00

Nannylicious

What does it say in your browser bar Mine says

www.genesreunted.co.uk

although a couple of weeks ago I had problems and signed into

www.genesreunited.co.za ...........instead