Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone up for a challenge....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 16 Oct 2012 15:11

If you are up for a challenge you may save me from giving up...

I need information on a William Conneys and his wife Eliza nee Smyth, shown on his wifes death cert as a Gentleman and deceased, cert dated 1859 issued Lewisham Union sub district Plumstead and Charlton.

Eliza is shown as dying from Insanity (2 years) and Diahorrea. age 53.

Death for Eliza registered by her brother James present at death Maryon Road Charlton apart from gravestone in Charlton Cemetery I canot find any evidence in either census or marriage or death records that I can relate to either William or Eliza and gravestone only states she is sister of James Smyth no mention of being widow of William.

James Smyth and his wife Ernestine and their son Leopold are also interred in same plots.

I have later census re her brother and his wife but nothing prior her decease.

Thanks for any sleuths out there that take this up. :-S :-S

Frances

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 16 Oct 2012 15:50

https://www.deceasedonline.com/servlet/GSDOSearch

(their Burials are on above, in case you didn't know)

Chris :)

Gee

Gee Report 16 Oct 2012 15:56

Is this her husband?

Deaths Sep 1844 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONNEY William John Holborn 2 99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 16 Oct 2012 15:57

The first thing that I would suspect is the surname Conneys. The reason being that other than Eliza there does not appear to be a Conneys birth, death or marriage of anyone else with that name registered in England or Wales between 1838 and 1880.

The next thing is that you say that her husbands details appear on Eliza's death certificate. That I believe would be very unusual for the time. It was only towards the end of the 20th century that similar information began to be recorded on death certificates in England.

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 16 Oct 2012 16:04

First of all Thank you Chris yes that is where I got some of the info from before sending for death cert., also got photo of gravestone a very good site.

Gins guess I didn't see that one, will pursue and get death cert.

Jonesey on death cert under col 5 for occupation it states Widow of William Conneys Gentleman, I thought that being odd shown under occupation.

Thank you all for your input much appreciated.

Frances

:-)

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 16 Oct 2012 16:17

With regard to James Smyth, I note that his occupation in 1861 appears to be Band Master, living in Woolwich. His wife was born in Germany and his son Leopold in Plymouth. I wonder whether that might indicate that he pursued a military career (The Royal Marines or Navy) which might explain why you cannot find him shown on earlier census records.

Gee

Gee Report 16 Oct 2012 16:27

Does it give Elizas age on the death cert?

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 16 Oct 2012 16:29

Thank you Jonesy yes I have information re James Smyth military career he also had a brother Thomas Henry who was shown bandmaster in RA but never found any birth details for either they being born 1812 and 1818 (calculated from census) both joined up when boys (14/16).

Not been able to find info re other siblings until I found Eliza's gravestone when looking for James death in 1885 on the deceasedline site at Charlton.

Once again thank you for your endeavors.

Frances

:-)

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 16 Oct 2012 16:30

Hi Gins yes she is age 53 making her born 1806 ish.

Frances

Gee

Gee Report 16 Oct 2012 16:48

Not having any luck finding Eliza on te 1851 census

You wouldnt know if they had children?

ForeverMystified

ForeverMystified Report 16 Oct 2012 17:01

Hi Gins no I don't know anything about her except from what I've discovered on her death cert and burial and gravestone details, also that her sister in law Ernestine mentioned her in her will saying she (Ernestine) wanted the memorial stone for herself to be side by side with her husbands and son and sister in law Eliza. Ernestine died in 1899.

I will send for death cert for the William John Conney you found and see if that is the correct one.

Thank you :-)

Just off to get tea sorted so will look back in later.