Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saving census images

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 16 Oct 2012 21:24

Please can someone tell me if there is a way to save the images I have looked at on GR to my computer so that I can study them offline.

I've got a laptop that isn't linked up to the internet because it's wireless only and we haven't got. Transcribed stuff I can obviously copy and paste to a document which I then transfer by Memory Stick but I haven't worked out how/if it's possible with images.

If it's very technical please treat me gently. The simpler the explanation, the better chance I have of following the instructions.

Many thanks.

Jill

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2012 21:28

If you right click on the image you will get various options - you can save to your computer, or even email image to yourself I imagine!
Not sure why your laptop isn't linked to internet - being wireless isn't significant as far as I know.
ADDED just re-read what you have put, I think I get it!
Hello there Jill, by the way!
Jan

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 16 Oct 2012 21:45

Thanks Jan. I will have a go.

We only have the internet via cable. Al and I bought laptops thinking that we could do our thing with them, only to find out that they could not be connected up to what we have now.

Apparently we need to have wireless to use them on the internet at home. I'm not that hot on computers so maybe I'm wrong but it's what we were told at the shop when I queried it when we decided to take the next step and link them up.

If you are going to tell me that all this time, Al and I could have used our laptops away from the house, I will scweem and scweem and scweem until I'm thick :-D

How are you doing these days? I did so enjoy that day at the Library. Definitely something for us all to tie down to a date during one of the school holidays.

xxJ

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Oct 2012 22:21

Jill, I am a total computer numpty so on no account listen to anything I say.
We have a wired computer plus a wireless laptop. Not sure how far the signal goes, never tried, though it works upstairs and just outside the patio doors!!
Yes, we must sort out a library visit, maybe next year when we have a nice sunny spring & summer, ha ha.
jan x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 16 Oct 2012 23:01

Our computers are like Jan's, but we are on BT Internet, so my OH can use his laptop any where within about 100yds of anyone else on BT and also anywhere which allows general access to the internet, like hotels or railway stations/trains.

I am not an expert but I would have thought you could get access in hotels etc.

I am sure someone on here will know the answer.

PS - maybe I'm being thick, but if your laptop isn't linked to the internet, how can you view Genes?

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 17 Oct 2012 08:48

Quick reply Andysmum as getting ready to go out.

Main computer linked to internet. This is where I'm sitting now and looking at GR.

And no, you're not being thick.

Anyone who asks any questions about computers isnt' thick in my book :-D

I have relatives who work for computer company and know it all - regular pain in the bum.

xJ

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 17 Oct 2012 13:48

You can copy images using right click then select "save picture as" which should then open the your pictures on your PC, Then just go back to the folder where the picture was stored on your PC and right click on the image and select "send to" and then the drive that your memory stick is plugged into

To connect your laptop to the internet you need a wireless router,

You can buy them from your PC shop but you could always check with your ISP (Internet service provider) to see if the do any deals that include a router (most ISP's do)

Roy