Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are you a Cockney ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dopeydoc

Dopeydoc Report 17 Oct 2012 20:01

Bow Bells , of St Mary Le Bow Cheapside ( NOT Bow East London ) they say if your born within 6 miles East - 3 South - 5 North - 4 West , You can claim to be a Cockney ! Hope this is interesting ?

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 17 Oct 2012 23:07

OH was born well within the sound of Bow Bells but his mother absolutely denies that he is a Cockney by birth.

Think Mrs Bouquet/Bucket :-D

Chris

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Oct 2012 11:23

My father & grandmother were both born in the Lying In Hospital, York Road (SE1) and this area just falls within the sound of Bow Bells and my dad was always very keen and proud to tell me he was a true Cockney!!!

Me I was not so lucky

Joy

Joy Report 18 Oct 2012 12:45

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/868207

:-)

cliffette

cliffette Report 18 Oct 2012 14:01

My mums 10 brothers and sisters were all born in Pages Walk just off the Old Kent Road - were proud to be Cockney's - long live pie and mash!

George

George Report 18 Oct 2012 17:24

I believe St, Mary Le Bow church had a tall spire, so therefore the sound of the bells ringing would have travelled some distance as back when there were not the tall buildings to block the sound.
Anyway, who would want to be a cockney :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

George :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)