Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New Databases on Anc*stry.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 2 Nov 2012 23:54

They have uploaded about 100 new databases in the last two days. Most are England and Wales.

:-D :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 3 Nov 2012 00:07

Seems to be a lot of books

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Nov 2012 12:52

ANCESTRY - please do stop using the *

We are all getting paranoid about mentioning any other 'firms' on this site.

Do not be dictated to by others. I now never use the * as I will not be told what I can or cannot write.

:-)

KenSE

KenSE Report 4 Nov 2012 14:32

Don't let PP dictate to you Mr Magoo. :-D

Incidentally if you mean Ancestry, the asterisk is in the wrong place.

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 4 Nov 2012 20:39

1st PP.....it's a habit on here......

2nd KenSE....have changes it.....only one person out of 100+ noticed it or posted about the error.

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 4 Nov 2012 21:17

IF we are paying to use the site and the boards there must be a bit of liberality. I take GR's rule to be "don't talk badly about GR on here" which seems fair and logical.

I was surprised to see people asterisking TESCO and COMET the other day. Bit like a Cat on a hot tin roof! :-D

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 4 Nov 2012 23:20

From emails that GR have sent to various members, the gist is that it's perfectly OK to refer to other genealogy sites as long as it's not making a comparison in which GR comes out worse.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Nov 2012 12:35

KenSe - I can assure you that I am not dictating to anyone one here (have been on the receiving end of such myself). If you read my post you will see that I asked Mr. Magoo to 'please stop'. Which is hardly dictating!

I was merely statiing that it is unnecessary. Genes will only do anything about you posting the full name of any company on here if you are
a: promoting them over GR
or
b: you are badmouthing GR and proclaiming other sites are better.