Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Order of Childrens Names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 4 Nov 2012 14:53

Please does anyone know in which order children were named after members of the family, i.e. parents, mothers mother, fathers father etc. I am stuck on one or two branches at the late 1700`s early 1800`s now. I have a couple of possiblities and would like to try to link them with names.

If not, any advice on the best way to try to decide/eliminate would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much, Marilyn

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Nov 2012 15:01

Really don't think there was a set order. Some families would name after the paternal side first others would name after the maternal side. Some would name boys after the paternal side and girls after the maternal side. Really no set pattern.

Often a child born would be named after a deceased sibling from one side of the famliy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 Nov 2012 15:06

I think it varied according to which part of the country you were in. In Scotland the eldest son was often, but not always, called after his father.

I have grandparents, born in the Birmingham area, where eldest son is called after paternal grandfather, eldest daughter after paternal grandmother, and the next two after parents.

The Welsh branch and the Derbyshire branch have no children called after any ancestors!

No doubt other posters will have other options.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 4 Nov 2012 15:17

Thanks for advice, just thought, so far back that maybe there may be an amost definite clue in the names.

Thanks for replying

Marilyn

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 4 Nov 2012 15:28

Try this site

http://arms2armor.com/Genealogy/names1.htm

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 4 Nov 2012 18:27

This is the Scottish naming practice but don't take it as being "carved in stone"

Scots often named children by following a simple set of rules:

1st son named after father's father

2nd son named after mother's father

3rd son named after father

1st daughter named after mother's mother

2nd daughter named after father's mother

3rd daughter named after mother

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 4 Nov 2012 21:37

I agree with Margee. That generally fits with my tree especially for the 18th and 19th century. In the 20th century I have seen middle names added for "fondness" or respect for a cousin or other near relation.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Nov 2012 22:41

None of my ancestors (all English) followed any sort of naming pattern......obviously independently-minded.

Scottish families tended to have stricter ideas.

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 5 Nov 2012 20:29

Thanks for info everyone, looking back over my tree, some people are named after relatives, but mostly are not. I have got definite proof with certificates and parish records though so at least, so far, I am on the right track.

Joy

Joy Report 5 Nov 2012 20:49

Please see http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/737444

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 7 Nov 2012 20:05

Thanks for that Joy, very helpful.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Nov 2012 01:27

Margee - that's what my family followed... made it easier to find some of my lot, especially the Smith line! Every one of the sons had a daughter, named Margaret D* Smith! (not giving away info about living people, they were born 1880-1900).

Anyone else have females with "unfortunate" names? Obviously the grandads were getting upset because no grandsons came along to be named after them. So the poor girls got female versions of male names....

Some are fine, like Roberta, Georgina, but I've got some doozies ~ some examples ~ Andrewetta, Davidina, Ewanetta, Gideona, Douglasina........ the prize goes to Archibaldina.

I now know why there were so many old ladies called Ina in the town I grew up in in Scotland.

But! The Scots are very good at giving a child a name (on birth certificate) and calling them something else.

: :-D

Malcolm

Malcolm Report 9 Nov 2012 14:49

I've got a Fanny Bald in my tree. :-)

Mel Fairy Godmother

Mel Fairy Godmother Report 10 Nov 2012 10:23

My mum had a friend called Nora Bone!!! True as I sit here..........