Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth certificates in 1960

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

alexandre

alexandre Report 5 Nov 2012 10:35

does anyone know that if a birth certificate states you were born in a hospital is it possible you were born somewhere else eg at home i have a birth certificate with harrogate general hospital on but have been told that i was born in staff flat at the grand hotel harrogate this was in 1960 thankyou

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Nov 2012 10:47

Who registered the birth?

Why would anyone lie about its location?

How long after your birth was it registered?

Sorry to ask, but were your parents married?

alexandre

alexandre Report 5 Nov 2012 10:56

the mother she was supposed to be with the father he was not named on certificate was mentioned briefly in adoption file born 28th jan registered on 7th march gave up for adoption on 1st april

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 5 Nov 2012 11:04

So you don't know your birth mother.............that's sad

But I would take the birth cert as being accurate.......any stories you have been told could be just that....stories.

And how would anyone know.....apart from your mother. She was the one who was there at the time!

In the long run, to be fair, does it really matter? The poor girl must have been in a highly emotional state, having to give up her child................

alexandre

alexandre Report 5 Nov 2012 11:19

hi ya i do know the birth mother met her yesterday she is the one who told me i was born in the grand hotel staff quarters she was adament and when i said that harrogate general was on the birth cert she said it couldnt be i was born at the grand she isnt a confused person was spot on about the day i was given up for adoption at office and then to train station

alexandre

alexandre Report 5 Nov 2012 11:20

do hospitals have place where you can look at records of births

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Nov 2012 11:52

Maybe you were born with no medical help and were taken to the hospital after the birth with your mum. They would issue the papers needed to register the birth . .

Who does it say is the informant.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Nov 2012 11:55

Just wondering if you were born in the flat while waiting for an ambulance, then rapidly carted off to hospital?

A friend's son was born in the back of an ambulance in a layby off the A39, but his BC says the Hospital :-D

alexandre

alexandre Report 5 Nov 2012 12:02

by informant do you mean who registered the birth if this is what you mean its the mother
i went into detail and she said it was nothing to do with any hosp it was a home birth

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 5 Nov 2012 18:40

It may have been a home birth but was she and you then taken to hospital . If she registered the birth then she would know whats on it surely???

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 6 Nov 2012 11:19

The registration was some weeks after the birth, which does, in fact suggest that the birth could possibly have been somewhere other than in hospital.

In those days, register office staff used to visit maternity wards to register births. My son's birth was registered in that way.

Why did she take so long to register you?

But, as I said earlier.........does it really matter where you were actually born?

Robert

Robert Report 6 Nov 2012 12:25

My sister was born at home, and so was my wife, but on there birth cetificates they both say born in hospital

alexandre

alexandre Report 10 Nov 2012 18:25

the reason i wanted to find out was that from my birth till april when i ws adopted. i wasnt. known by anyone. nobody knew of me not close family on the fathers side and also close family on the mothers side. nobody k ows of a baby only the mother has told me i was with her. for 8 weeks

Penny

Penny Report 10 Nov 2012 21:11

8 weeks is a long time for her to survive on her own with a baby, although she may well have done, its unlikely.

Birth mothers may not always tell the absolute truth/Maybe her parents knew about you, but refused to acknowledgr your birth and she thought it kinder to telll you that they dont know you exist.

My birth mother assured me that my two half brothers knew about me, but ''dont want anything to do with you''.
She has recently died and thought we'd try again to contact them and ...guess what? They didnt know we existed ( and do want to meet up SOON)

Do we believe what she said, and that they have had a change of heart or believe them? I think she fibbed to cover her own shame- she never told them about me.

alexandre

alexandre Report 10 Nov 2012 22:50

i have just met my birth mother last week. it took me 18 years along the way ive found abrother who was adopted a sister who was adopted. bother that she kept and a sister she kept none of us knew about each other. ive also got another 2 sisters on the fathers side. who i correspond with. ive found loads of info. and loads of rleatives. but the only thing is this nine weeks. out of all the. children im the only one. that noone and i mean noone knows about. she was with the father when i was born and its the first question i asked her last week. and to tell the truth i still havent got a clue what she said.

Penny

Penny Report 11 Nov 2012 06:39

I guess iit's up you to believe oor disibelieve the things she told you. presumably you were the first of her children?

alexandre

alexandre Report 11 Nov 2012 09:04

No i was the second she gave up for adoption i think ive made an issue of this nine weeks because it is the first words i got told off the case worker she said ( she did look after you for nine weeks ) but where obviously not at the address she gave on adoption forms i did make a joke last week saying was i kept in the cupboard

Penny

Penny Report 11 Nov 2012 09:54

''She did look afte you for 9 weeks'' can mean many things. All it means is that you didn't go sraight into foster care, I guess she possibly spent that 9 weeks trying to persued her parents that she should keep you. Anyone that decided before their child was born, that they were going for adotion, usually gave them straight for fostering from the hospital.

onder where a ( presumably) young moher could go n the 1960's with a new born baby with no means of supporting herself. Very limited choices./

You say given up for adooption on 1s April - was that the date that your adoption was granted?

alexandre

alexandre Report 11 Nov 2012 14:05

my adoption was granted in july she actually started the process on 9 / 2 /1960 so she had meant to adopt me very early and it looks like she said the same as she did with my sister get her adopted to another area