Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tanner Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wungle

Wungle Report 6 Nov 2012 13:30

OK, hope someone can help me get my head round this….

I’ve just started on a family tree for the Tanner’s. The furthest back information I’ve got is of John William Tanner (1922 to 1976) born St Olave Bermondsey, London who was married to Ellen Bishop (1922 to 2011) also born St Olave Bermondsey, London.
I’ve checked his birth cert on line and it shows his mother’s maiden name to be West –this is confirmed with double checking with his siblings.

I’ve just received the marriage Cert (married in 1922 Southwark London) which shows his father to be George Richard Tanner (deceased at time of marriage.)
Now –I can’t find any record of his birth (I’m only guessing at the dates his birth would have been)
I can find a Richard George Tanner born 1893 in St Olave London and it does happen that people swap names around –but in either case I can’t find any record of a Tanner marrying a West within the time-frame we are talking about –I’m now stuck how to proceed to get back to that all important date of 1911 so I can start quizzing the census.
Cheers

Terry

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 6 Nov 2012 13:35

What is the grooms age on the 1922 marriage certificate? Or did you mean the 1945 marriage certificate?

Wungle

Wungle Report 6 Nov 2012 13:37

23yrs of age

Terry

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 6 Nov 2012 13:41

Consider the possibility that John William's mother may have been previously married when she married his father. Shortly after WW1 ended there was a lot of war widows who married their 2nd husbands.

Wungle

Wungle Report 6 Nov 2012 13:45

Thanks Joneesy, but someone's just sent me a record of the marriage they pulled off another site (from Church Banns)

Thanks for taking the trouble to help

Terry

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 6 Nov 2012 13:50

1911??

Name: Richard George Tanner
Age in 1911: 18
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1893
Relation to Head: Head
Birth Place: Bermondsey
Civil parish: Bermondsey
County/Island: London
Street Address: 42 George Row, Bermondsey
Years married: 1
Estimated Marriage Year: 1910
Registration district: St Olave (Bermondsey)
Registration District Number: 24
Sub-registration district: Bermondsey
ED, institution, or vessel: 40
Piece: 1909
Household Members:
Name Age
Richard George Tanner 18
Amy Tanner 21 born Bermondsey
Richard Fredrick Tanner 6 (months not years)

Wungle

Wungle Report 6 Nov 2012 13:52

And now I have the census -thanks again.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 6 Nov 2012 14:25

Duplicate thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1313716