Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hawkers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mavis

Mavis Report 7 Nov 2012 09:19

Can anyone tell me if a Hawker has a license, would the license cover an area it which it was issued or would it cover any where in the country [ England - Wales]

this would be in 1934

Mavis

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 7 Nov 2012 09:21

Can only suggest you google

Mavis

Mavis Report 7 Nov 2012 09:22

tried that -- didnt really give an answer

Mavis

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 7 Nov 2012 09:49

Found by GOOGLING!!!!!!!!

LH35 is right. Hawkers and pedlars would head to the police station to get their licence from 1870 onwards. I heard once that the money they paid went towards the police officers' pension fund. These days most, if not all, of the records have been deposited with county record offices.

Licences had to be obtained for each county in which a hawker wanted to trade and also renewed annually.

A quick way to check what's available is by visiting this site: www.open.ac.uk/Arts/history/policing/police-archives-guide/index.html

It lists what was held by English and Welsh county constabularies in 1992 when the Police History Society did a survey of their archives. The actual location of the records obviously may have changed in the intervening years.

Mavis

Mavis Report 7 Nov 2012 10:59

Thanks for info - may find some more out then

Mavis