Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

advice on starting up again please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 8 Nov 2012 17:23

I started my family tree some years ago on this site but haven't got very far, however, now I have retired I intend to really get on with it and also do my Husband's tree.
I have asked for some geneology software for Christmas so my questions are;

1. Can anyone recomend some software that is easy to use? I have seen some but, of course, you don't get to see it working until you've bought it.

2. Can I do two separate trees on one piece of software or will I need to get two?

Many thanks
Irene :-)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Nov 2012 18:41

I use my old 2005 version of Family tree maker and yes you can use it for multiple trees i think the latest version is FTM2012

Roy

JustDinosaurJill

JustDinosaurJill Report 8 Nov 2012 18:41

Welcome back Irene.

I'd look for what's available on Amazon and see what you can find out about the individual programs.

Pick a program and Google it followed by reviews and you should get some pages come up for that.

I'll be looking for something myself next year so hope you find one that works for you.

Jill

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 8 Nov 2012 19:07

Thank you both for that advice.
It's good to know that I can put multiple trees on one piece of software.
I have been looking but have been unable to choose so I will check the reviews too.
I see that there are some that give a free trial to ancestry, that might be helpfull.

:-)

Pam

Pam Report 8 Nov 2012 20:05

if you're quick and you live in the UK you can buy a copy of Family Tree Maker 2011 World Edition for just £22 including postage at Amazon.co.uk - and since it comes with a free 6 month World membership to Ancestry.co.uk worth £77 it has to be the bargain of the year

Information from Lost Cousins Newsletter

Irenemac

Irenemac Report 9 Nov 2012 19:11

Thanks Pam.
I've just looked but I seem to have missed the boat. The version with world ancestry is £60 odd. I've just been looking and I see that the premium membership gives access to Irish records and that would be very helpfull. I will need access to America but perhaps I can wait a while for that.
Anyway thanks for letting me know, it certainly would have been the bargain of the year.
:-)

Pam

Pam Report 9 Nov 2012 19:41

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Family-Tree-Maker-2011-World/dp/B0045OW1XQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=software&ie=UTF8&qid=1352489898&sr=1-2

Costs £24.99

Product features:

Easily discover your family history with the new 2011 version of the World’s No. 1 selling family history software

Create family books and hundreds of different charts and reports to share with family and friends

Add photos, documents, audio and video files directly into your tree

>>>>Access millions of family history records with a FREE† 6 Month WORLDWIDE

Membership to Ancestry.co.uk worth over £113

Integrate seamlessly with Ancestry.co.uk and receive hints and links to matching records in your tree

View timelines and interactive maps highlighting events and places in your ancestors’ lives

NEW – Write family stories that automatically update when facts change in your tree

NEW – Printed Companion Guide to Family Tree Maker 2011 – Over 350 pages of invaluable information

Includes Backup and Protect Software and software to keep all your precious family tree information safe

Create your own Family Tree Website to share with family and friends across the world

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Nov 2012 19:41

If you shop at Tesco, you can get Family TreeMaker 2012 with a 6 Premium Ancestry.co.uk sub for £19.00 worth of Clubcard points.

http://www.tesco.com/clubcard/deals/product.aspx?R=1656&%20bci=4294960045|Learning%20%26%20Software*4294964856|Hobbies