Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Electoral roll query-anyone help?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


TaniaLL Report 13 Nov 2012 18:42

Hi there,

This is one of my first posts so I apologise if I am asking the wrong thing in the wrong place!

I am trying to establish the name of a family living at 99 Balfour Street, Sculcoates, Hull in 1930

I have used an address look up facility on FMP against the 1911 census and there is no number 99 listed at all so I am a little confused. I would visit local archives but I live a few hundred miles away.

Is anyone able to help me please as I have come to a bit of a halt on one strand of my research.

Many thanks.


brummiejan Report 13 Nov 2012 18:45

You can only look at this in person, or alternatively contact the archives staff to ask for a lookup - they are usually quite helpful, but there might be a charge.
Don't forget only people over 21 will be shown.

I think this might be where you need, assuming Hull?

Welcome to the boards - and you have posted in just the right place!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2012 18:45

I,m afraid those records would be at the local Main Library or Records Office for the area.

They are searchable by address and would be those over 21 listed.

You could try Goggling for the address or website for the area and send them an email. Some Records Offices are very obliging but then some are not ! .

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2012 18:46

Jan and i have given the same advice lol :-D


brummiejan Report 13 Nov 2012 18:49

1911 England Census

Name: Fred Pellitt
Age in 1911: 41
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1870
Relation to Head: Head
Gender: Male
Birth Place: Hull, Yorkshire, England
Civil parish: Sculcoates
County/Island: Yorkshire-East Riding
Country: England
Street Address: 99 Balfour Street Holderness Road Hull
Marital Status: Married
Occupation: Lithographer Printer
Registration district: Sculcoates

Fred Pellitt 41
Julia Pellitt 36
Fred Haigh Pellitt 16
Jonathan Pellitt 11
Eva Louisa Pellitt 9
Hubert Pellitt 7
Thomas John Pellitt 4


brummiejan Report 13 Nov 2012 18:50

HI Shirley - glad to see we are agreeing! The 'Genes echo' is always reassuring. :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Nov 2012 18:52

lol :-D :-D :-D


Reggie Report 14 Nov 2012 13:25

Presumably the address is on a birth cert ?


TaniaLL Report 14 Nov 2012 16:53

Hi everybody.

Thank you so much for replying I really appreciate it.

Reggie- Yes that was the address on the birth certificate.
Brummiejan- Thank you very much for that information. Perhaps further generations of the same family lived at the same address in 1930. I will take a look at the other information I have and see if it crops up anywhere.
All- Thank you veru much for the advice. I will start with an email to the office and see where I go from there.

If anyone does come across any other information I would be grateful if you let me know.


Reggie Report 14 Nov 2012 17:06

Was the child legitimate?


TaniaLL Report 16 Nov 2012 13:02

Hi Reggie,

There was no father named on the birth certificate for either child and my nanna's mum was using her maiden name so I am assuming she was not yet married.


brummiejan Report 16 Nov 2012 18:10

You are right to go down the electoral register route in that case. I am assuming she wasn't obliging enough to have a unique name!
Good luck.