Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

McPhillips Family Again

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dympna

Dympna Report 17 Nov 2012 20:16

Looking for my Great Grandfather onwards.
Info that I know is

My Grandfather Joseph J. McPhillips B. 1901 in Bailieborough, Caven. Ireland
He died in Liverpool
He married Ellen King B. 1901 roughly in Bailieborough. Caven. Ireland.
She died in Liverpool.
I think they were married around about 1920

I think my Great Grandfathers name was Joseph McPhillips Possibly born around 1879. I think he also came from Bailieborough. Possibly a brother named William.

Can anyone suggest where to look in the Irish records, I have been searching for weeks now and keep drawing a blank, I must be looking in the wrong places.

Any help would be much appreciated. thank you.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 17 Nov 2012 20:45

Have you checked Irish 1901/1911 census? Free to search.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Jan

Dympna

Dympna Report 17 Nov 2012 20:48

Thank you Jan will go and look there now I have looked in that many places I cannot remember where I have looked.

Dee :-)

Flip

Flip Report 18 Nov 2012 09:15

This could be their marriage in 1918?

Joseph McPhillips
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1918
Registration district: Bailieborough
Volume: 2
Page: 333 (click to see others on page)
FHL Film Number: 101264

He married one of the following:

Margaret Clarke Oct-Nov-Dec 1918 Bailieborough
View Record
James Cusack Oct-Nov-Dec 1918 Bailieborough
View Record
Patrick Farrell Oct-Nov-Dec 1918 Bailieborough
View Record
Ellen King Oct-Nov-Dec 1918 Bailieborough <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
View Record
Maggie McDermott Oct-Nov-Dec 1918 Bailieborough
View Record
Joseph McPhilips Oct-Nov-Dec 1918 Bailieborough
View Record
Joseph McPhillips Oct-Nov-Dec 1918 Bailieborough

A copy of the marriage should give both their fathers names, as there is nothing obvious for them on 1911 census. Otherwise it would be guess work looking for parents.

It looks like they either waited a long time for their first child (Liverpool 1927) or they stayed in Ireland until the mid 1920s.

Flip

Flip Report 18 Nov 2012 10:01

Residents of a house 6.1 in Bailieborough Town (Bailieborough, Cavan)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
King Ellen 81 Female Head of Family Roman Catholic Cavan - Read and write - Widow - - - -
King Bridget 32 Female Daughter in Law Roman Catholic Cavan Char - Woman Read and write - Widow - - - -
King Thomas T 12 Male Grand Son Roman Catholic Cavan Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
King Katie 11 Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic Cavan Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
King Ellie 9 Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic Cavan Scholar Read and write - Single - - - -
King Hugh 8 Male Grand Son Roman Catholic Cavan Scholar Cannot read - Single - - - -
King Annie 6 Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic Cavan Scholar Cannot read - Single - - - -
King May 4 Female Grand Daughter Roman Catholic Cavan Scholar Cannot read - Single - - - -
Clarke John 50 Female Nephew Roman Catholic

Mother and grandmother are widows. Ellen's birth reg Dec.qtr 1901

Flip

Flip Report 18 Nov 2012 10:05

With their husbands in 1901, bit of luck if this is them you have 2 generations:

Residents of a house 7.2 in Georges Street (Bailieboro, Cavan)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
King Thomas 74 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Cavan Labourer Read and write - Married -
King Ellen 72 Female Wife Roman Cathole Co Cavan - Read and write - Married -
King Patrick 30 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Cavan Car Driver Read and write - Married -
King Bridget 24 Female Wife Roman Catholic Co Cavan - Read and write - Married -
King Philip 26 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Cavan Labourer Read and write - Not Married -
King Thomas 2 Male Son Roman Cathole Co Cavan - Cannot read - Not Married -
King Catherine 1 Female Daughter Roman Cathole

Dympna

Dympna Report 19 Nov 2012 18:11

Thank you Flip for your help, I have managed to find the information of my Grandmother and Great Grandmother and Great Great Grandmother and their families but not the marriage information of my Grandmother and Grandfather, yes that is my Grandmother with her Mother and her Brothers and Sisters, and her Grandmother, she was Ellen or Ellie as she was called in the residents of 6.1 on here there are three generations which is fantastic. I have vague memories of my Great Grandmother Bridget king she lived to a ripe old age of 98. I wish that I had thought of researching the family then, I could of asked so many questions but there again those questions might not of been answered. Which search engine did you use to find this information? I seem to be going around in circles lookiing for Irish information. I could not find anything in the Census for my Grandfather Joseph J Mcphillips, I know they were still living in Bailieborough in 1922 because this is when my Dad was born I am struggling to find anything else about them maybe I am looking in the wrong places. Do you know who I would apply to for their Birth Certificates because then i would have a starter for ten. thank you once again for your help any advice would be very welcome.

Dee. :-)

Flip

Flip Report 19 Nov 2012 19:15

Hi Dee

I think the place (other please correct me if I'm wrong) to order Irish certificates is here:

http://www.groireland.ie/fees.htm

In answer to your questions, I used Ancestry who have some of the civil registrations, to find the marriage. For Ireland census (1901 & 1911 which are the only ones available as they pulped earlier census during a paper shortage!) go here which I assume you've already found:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

Another useful site, which I believe covers Co Cavan, although you need credits to view actual records is:

http://www.rootsireland.ie/

Edit: I haven't been able to find Joseph McPhillips in Co Cavan 1901/11 so wonder if he was born elsewhere. Where did you get your info that he was born there please?

And finally, just in case you haven't come accross this, the familysearch website:

https://familysearch.org/

atb

Flip

Dympna

Dympna Report 19 Nov 2012 19:44

Hi Flip,

thanks once again for the info. I will go searching again in a little while. I have searched the 1901 & 1911 census but will try familysearch and also look at getting credits for rootsireland. My Dad when he was alive always believed that his Father Joseph J. McPhillips was born in Bailieborough and I had maybe incorrectlly always presumed that because they had got married in Bailieborough then I thought that his Father was also born there. I will send for their Birth Certificates when I have saved a little money up because I believe they are about nine pound something each.I will let you know how I go on.

Flip

Flip Report 19 Nov 2012 21:48

Hi Dee

Well, you don't need Ellen's birth certificate, as you seem to have her ancestry. It is your grandfather we can't pin down, so you can't order his birth certificate without knowing more about him and actually finding his birth. It is traditional for a couple to marry in the brides parish, so don't put any faith in him being born there or even living there for any length of time. Your dad may have known they came from there, and assumed they were both from there.

Maybe their marriage certificate would be the first step, it should give his age and father's name/occupation and maybe an address. He hasn't appeared on a census that we can find, so don't just go by the age at death, people can get it wrong, compare this with his age at marriage.

If you can get his father's name/occupation (other than conjecture or your father's distant memories) we may be able to find them on the census. At the moment it is a shot in the dark, they could be anywhere - but not in Co Cavan that I can see.

Once you have confirmation from the marriage certificate of his age, and father's name the rootsireland website is good - the advanced search (free to search) allows you to put in fathers name as well & so eliminates a lot of otherwise potential records to check & pay for.

Flip

Dympna

Dympna Report 19 Nov 2012 22:00

Thank you Flip sorry taken so long to answer but have been searching again.
Good advice about getting my Granfather's Marriage Certificate. I will see about getting it in the next few days.