Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth, death marriage certs - personal GRO access

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


+++DetEcTive+++ Report 20 Nov 2012 11:46

Depending on when and where, you might be able to find an image of a Church wedding. You won't find any Register office images

Before dashing off to Kew, its best to check where the PR are held. *If* they have been deposited, they are usually at the County Archive, with copies at the nearest local main library which has a Local Studies section.

Archvists and Librarians will normally search on your behalf, if you can't get there. They usually (but not always!) make a charge.


Gabrielle Report 19 Nov 2012 21:03

Thanks for the replies. The Indexes give the reference details so that the actual birth, death or marriage certificate can then be found. I was hoping that it would be possible, once having found the reference details, to then find the actual certificate via a personal search at Kew, thus saving cost. It would seem that this is not possible, which is what I thought, but thought I'd ask the question. Gabby

Researching: Sewell (from the Hitcham, Suffolk area), and Bensley (from the Grimsby and Retford areas)


InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Nov 2012 06:36

Referring back to the original question re searching GRO records, it is not possible to search the actual registers under any circumstances - you must purchase a certificate.

However, you can search copies of the GRO Indexes in person and for free at the following locations:-

Birmingham Central Library
Bridgend Reference and Information Library
City of Westminster Archives Centre
Manchester City Library
Newcastle City Library
Plymouth Central Library
The British Library (you’ll need to register first)

In addition, selected index numbers are available for searching at local libraries, archives and other locations.


mgnv Report 18 Nov 2012 22:42

There are a number of local indexes online, and these often contain info that isn't in the GRO index - it's always worth checking for these. See:

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Nov 2012 19:49

The GRO record is an index and that is searchable up to about mid 1950s on freebmd site, but the contents of the registers are not generally open to searches by the public, although I have read on a family history site that one can request to view books for that region at a local register office, but I don't know if that is just their index books.

If you want help with a specific family, you could try posting a request for information on the Find Ancestors board. GR members might be able to help and advise and possibly direct you to finding the correct information.



brummiejan Report 18 Nov 2012 19:48

Not entirely sure what you mean, but to see a cert you have to buy it. You can search indexes for England/Wales BMD's on Freebmd1837-1960ish. After this you need FMP or Ancestry.
Or if you are lucky you might find a relative to share certs with!


Gabrielle Report 18 Nov 2012 19:35

Currently it costs £9.25 per copy for one of these. Is it possible to undertake personal searches of the GRO records? Gabby Bensley