Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

looking for Harold George Baker

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jean

Jean Report 19 Nov 2012 21:30

Hi new to English research, when ordering a marriage certificate do you get the full record ie- names of witnesses, parents names etc?
scottish certificates do, as with birth certificates do you get all the information on it, ie- parents names and occupation along with their parents names?
thanks for your help
Jean

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Nov 2012 21:31

On English marriage certificates you get the father's name but not the mother's. You do get witness names as well.

Birth certificates will give you parent's names and occupations (although sometimes only the father's occupation) but not the grandparent's names.

Have a look here for what to expect on birth, marriage and death certificates:-

http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Kath. x

Jean

Jean Report 19 Nov 2012 21:42

Thankyou Kathleen! will see what i can find, though its not easy as i dont have too much info on oerson i am researching. I do know that he married in 1936 to Elizabeth Kelly, they got a divorce a few years later, and that they had a son. Its trying to find out what happened to him after, did he marry again and have more children etc! Thanks again
Jeanx

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 19 Nov 2012 21:45

Do you know when he was born? If so it might be possible to find a death record for him.
Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 19 Nov 2012 21:51

Are you certain that they got divorced? It's just that divorce was quite difficult to get in those days and many people whose marriage broke up during the war years just separated and went on to live with another partner as man and wife. My own father-in-law did this with my mother-in-law as he had been married in the 1920's and his marriage broke up but they never divorced. He just lived as man and wife with my mother-in-law.

We (hubby and I) didn't know this until after their deaths when an elderly relative told me why I couldn't find their marriage record.

Kath. x

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Nov 2012 22:57

Marriages Dec 1936 (>99%)
Baker Harold G Kelly Lewisham 1d 1987
Kelly Eliza Baker Lewisham 1d 1987

How did you find out that his second name was George?