Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

searching American / Scottish BDM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jo

Jo Report 23 Nov 2012 14:44

hi there,

Is it possible to seach through US or scottish records on this website - ive looked but when i click to search BDM it takes me to the england and wales records?

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Nov 2012 14:50

No it isn't, I'm afraid

Scottish BMD's are only on Scotlands people which is pay-to-view.

For American ones.............try googling

BTW.....for England/Wales up to the mid-1950's, look on freebmd...............much the easiest site to use.

You haven't mentioned time-scale............

For very early info, try........

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

As a point of info......GR's records are all taken from other sites. They don't transcribe anything themselves.

And they may charge you for info which can be found elsewhere without cost

Kay????

Kay???? Report 23 Nov 2012 14:59

Jo,

Scotland has its own site for BDM,,,,,,,,pay per view,

http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

registration was from 1855,births that are less than 100 years cant be viewed but can be ordered,,,,,,events such as marriages/baptisms will be under Parish Records....also deaths before 1855 wasnt registered but maybe found in PR but are very scant.but could be found in the MIs,any pre 1855 records can be downloaded and restrictions in place for later modern records........they also have RCathloic marriage and baptims.

you can free register.--------read the FAQ...

Jo

Jo Report 23 Nov 2012 15:32

thanks for your replies kay and reggie,

sorry for the lack of information - im sort of new to searching - at least outsdie of the UK. Im looking for a marriage record anytime from 70's to the present. i am actually searchin for my birth father so its not historical data i need. ive used the freeBDM site which as an amazing tool to be free!

but i have reason to believe he maybe living and got married in the states now.

so to search marriage records in the US i need to look at parish records? ill try googleing :)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Nov 2012 22:52

You may find difficulty in obtaining such recent info................

I doubt very much that the US has such things as parish records................

Have you tried the US phone books?

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 23 Nov 2012 22:57

Have you considered tracking down other members of his family - unless you have reason to believe is is no longer in contact with them. This might prove easier if they are in the UK.
Jan

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Nov 2012 01:14

Jo,

What's his name and what year was he born?

Rose