Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Gedcoms

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wungle

Wungle Report 24 Nov 2012 14:04

Hi all,

I want to download a Gedcom of my tree, partly to keep a backup but also to make a copy offline.
When I go to do this, I am warned that I will lose all my photos and other attachments on my GR tree.

Is this the case -or are they just trying to stop me exporting my tree into another program?

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Nov 2012 14:24

Your GR tree and photos are quite safe. The GEDCOM can only copy names and dates etc, not pictures and other attachments. It doesn't remove anything from the GR tree.

Its always a good idea to back up your tree on another program. etc.

Andy

Wungle

Wungle Report 24 Nov 2012 14:27

Thanks Andy -thought (hoped) that might be the case.

Terry

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Nov 2012 18:14

Uploading your tree to GR may cause you to loose info you have previously added to the site.

However, you should never rely on external sites to hold your precious data.

My advice is to keep the definitive version of your tree on your PC using a program such as Family Tree Maker, saving copies to alternative safe media.

You then upload what are in essence 'throwaway' copies to websites. not the other way around.

Wungle

Wungle Report 24 Nov 2012 18:58

Thanks again

Terry