Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bastardy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JudyS

JudyS Report 26 Nov 2012 11:59

I've done a search of this forum, but can't find anything recent/relevant, so I wonder if someone can help me?

My great-grandfather was illegitimate. No father's name on the birth certificate (1851), but he was given an unusual middle name, 'Rumsba', which I later deduced should be 'Rumsby'. I think perhaps his mother couldn't write so had dictated the name to the registrar who did his best with it.

When Henry Rumsby Smith got married, he gave his father's name on the marriage certificate as 'Thomas Smith'. I think his mother either lied to him, or he fudged the issue.

His mother was a Mary Smith, living at home in Swardestone, Norfolk. The year after he was born, she married a William Clarke, who adopted young Henry as his own (still recorded as 'Smith').

Tell me if this deduction is reasonable:

At the time of Henry's birth, a Thomas Rumsby, 21 years old, was working as a groom at nearby Intwood. His family (found in the previous census, when Thomas was twelve) lived at nearby East Carleton. I'm assuming young Thomas Rumsby is the father of Mary's child, my great-grandfather, Henry Rumsby Smith.

That being so, where would I look for bastardy papers? How do I find out which court would have jurisdiction, and which newspaper might have covered the court reporting for that area?

Many thanks for reading this far - and for any help!

Potty

Potty Report 26 Nov 2012 12:04

Norfolk Records Office might have Bastardy Orders or the father may have been named on the baptism.

JudyS

JudyS Report 26 Nov 2012 12:16

Thank you - I'll have to make a trip to the NRO!

I can't find any record of a baptism online. Perhaps I'll find that at the NRO too?

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 26 Nov 2012 12:30

County Norfolk
Place Swardeston
Church St Mary Tr
RegisterNumber 387
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 06 Feb 1851
Forename Henry
Sex -
FatherForename
MotherForename Mary
FatherSurname
MotherSurname SMITH
Abode
FatherOccupation
FileNumber 7871

(a possible Baptism, from below link)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/cgi/Search.pl

Chris :)

JudyS

JudyS Report 26 Nov 2012 12:48

Thanks for that, Chris - I appreciate the look-up!

Seems I needn't look any further for that one - no more info there. :(

Eileen

Eileen Report 26 Nov 2012 19:44

Baptism does actually say illigitimate son of Mary Smith and baptism date is 16th,not 6th.
Eileen

JudyS

JudyS Report 26 Nov 2012 22:17

Thank you, Eileen! It's nice to have the illegitimacy confirmed, and thanks also for the date correction.

mgnv

mgnv Report 26 Nov 2012 23:59

Although it's not the original parish register, but the BTs (the church's own backup copy), you can check the image yourself at:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND
You want:
England, Norfolk Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941 > Norfolk > Archdeaconry of Norfolk > 1851 > S-Y > Image 169 of 332

Incidentally, I think your Rumsby hypothesis is likely correct.

JudyS

JudyS Report 27 Nov 2012 09:25

Oh, that's wonderful, mgnv! Thank you so much! I hadn't even searched the BTs or ATs because I'd heard that there were very few in existence for Norfolk. That will teach me not to listen to all I hear, but to check for myself!

So that means that there may very well be something in the Overseer's Accounts, if only I can find them! I need that trip to the NRO!

Thanks again, everyone. You've all be most helpful. :)

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 Nov 2012 02:10

Just found the parish record at:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND
This collection's only partly indexed, so you have to "Browse through 293,422 images"
What you want is:
England, Norfolk Parish Registers, 1538-1900 > Swardeston > Baptisms > 1813-1901 > Image 27 of 53

JudyS

JudyS Report 30 Nov 2012 09:43

Wow, how kind of you to trawl through all those records for me! Thank you, so much!

Not much doubt about poor Henry's illegitimacy now, is there?

Thanks also for pointing me to a wonderful resource that I'd missed. Indexed or not, it's a goldmine of information.