Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lewes Sussex records office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Blue1

Blue1 Report 26 Nov 2012 12:10

Hi,
Will any one be visiting the Lewes Records Office in the future?

Would any one who may be visiting the Lewes record office be willing to look up one parish record for a marriage please?

I have the details of the marriage from IGI and ancestry.

I would like to know what other info is on the entry eg father's names,witness's etc

I live in Cornwall "St Breock" parish and am too far away to go there myself.
I have looked at the County records office re their research help,but the minimum fee is £25.00 which is to much for me for one entry.

I would really appreciate it if someone were to help me out.
I don't drive, but could visit a church or take a photo of somewhere in my parish if needed in return.

Many thanks for taking the time to look at my request

Blue1

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 26 Nov 2012 13:16

If the marriage is pre 1837 then it wont show fathers names. Will show marital status and possibly age will show as full age or miner.

You may be lucky and a witness is a family member

Blue1

Blue1 Report 26 Nov 2012 13:51

Hi
I havn't seen the image as Ancestry don't have it. I have got the date place and names of both parties.
I found the entry also on Sussex OPC but all they have is the IGI version which is the same as the entry that Ancestry has.unfortunately Sussex on line parish clerks don't have an OPC that covers the area I need.

I have gone backwards on John Chandler,but all I know about Eliza from this marriage and Census is that she was born in Horsham in about 1816

John Richardson Chandler-Eliza Philp

21 NOV 1835 Saint Nicholas, Brighton, Sussex, England

The Church is, St Nicholas of Myra.

I have in the past found marriage entries on freereg pre 1837 which have given details such as names of witness's etc. I was rather hoping that the register held at Lewes might have given me something other than Bride and Groom and date,place of marriage!

Seems I am out of luck on this one, and will be unable to go further back on the brides side.

Thanks for your help

Sue in Sx

Sue in Sx Report 26 Nov 2012 15:04

The Sussex Marriage Index (on CD) gives the marriage date as 21st November 1835 Brighton - extra info - he was a bachelor she a spinster, both of this Parish (only means they had been living there long enough to qualify for marriage) and married by Banns.
If there was more info it would have been transcribed...

The Parish Register won't give you any more info than this.. :-)

Blue1

Blue1 Report 26 Nov 2012 16:22

Thank you Sue,
I was looking into buying the CD as seemed cheaper than the £25 but I see there is no need.
At least I won't be losing money!

Thanks again
Blue1

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 26 Nov 2012 17:09

Have you tried asking the Library?

http://www.brighton-hove-rpml.org.uk/Libraries/Pages/home.aspx

Since you know the exact image you want looked up, one would have thought that it wouldn' take long to look up.

As has been said, the entry won't give parent's names, but ought to give the names of the witnesses. A clue to if they were under age would be the phrase 'with parents consent'.

Blue1

Blue1 Report 28 Nov 2012 12:04

Hi DetEcTive.
thanks for your input.
I havn't tried the library ,thanks for link,will e-mail them today.

I thought the same about not taking a long time to look up.

Problem is I found where the image could be looked up,but, unless you are visiting Lewes the minimum charge is £25.00 so too expensive for me for one image.

Sue who has a CD of the marriage index says that all her CD has is the same as IGI and ancestry
except it says that they were both spinsters and of this parish.
Seems I am out of luck on this one and will have to think of another way of finding out about Eliza Philp and her side of the family.
I know she was born in Horsham about 1816 from Census and John in Huntingdonshire. Luckily for me he was easy to trace as he mostly included his middle name on any thing legal.

I've looked for baps in Horsham for Eliza, on IGI ,freebmd and Ancestry but no luck ,unless I'm overlooking her somehow!

Thanks again
Best regards
Blue1

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Nov 2012 19:25

Was there a later marriage for Eliza perhaps naming her father?

I managed to find the family of one of my early 1800s ladies that way.

I think Bishop's Transcripts for Brighton are also held in the West Sussex Office in Chichester.

Gwyn

Blue1

Blue1 Report 29 Nov 2012 16:51

Thanks Gwyn,
Eliza only married the once worse luck! But as she is a Granny of mine perhaps I shouldn't say that.
Very inconciderate of her though not to leave me a nice trail to find!
Or having her mother or sibling stay whilst the Census's were on!

Looks like a holiday in Sussex for me and my hubby next year.
With all the places I am having to have to go to,I don't think I will be home much.
Thank goodness we bought a little touring caravan!

Best Regards
Blue1