Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Seeking Family of Samuel and Emily Gauci

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Marion

Marion Report 28 Nov 2012 16:07

I am looking to find trace of my Grandmother, Emily Woods/Cameron who married my Grandfather in Willesden, Middlesex in June 1940. My Grandfather was Hugh Cameron and came from Glasgow, he was in the army at war when my father was born in October 1940, his name is Andrew Cameron. My dad was raised in Glasgow by his gran until his father came back from the war. I believe Emily Woods was remarried later to Samuel Gauci and had more children.
I can only trace the marriage certificate and my fathers birth certificate, i dont have Emily's DOB and cant find anything else out about her.

I have updated the Subject to see if it generates any more responses as i seem to have came to a stop :-(

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Nov 2012 16:34

Do you have their marriage cert Marion?
Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Nov 2012 16:37

Until you find out how old she was when she married, very little chance of tracing her.

The marriage cert will have that info...together with her father's details, if she knew them

Marriages Jun 1940 (>99%)
Cameron Hugh C Woods Willesden 3a 1509
Woods Emily Cameron Willesden 3a 1509

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 28 Nov 2012 16:40

I take it your father was born in Scotland..............

Marion

Marion Report 28 Nov 2012 18:08

I don't have the marriage certificate yet, i have only viewed the entry you mentioned above which does not give any DOB details. How do i see the actual certificate?

My father was born in england, his birth is registered in Watford, DOB 13/10/40

mgnv

mgnv Report 28 Nov 2012 20:10

Reggie's marr details, and a similar birth entry:

Surname First name(s) Mother District Vol Page
Births Dec 1940
Cameron ****** * Woods Watford 3a 2203

are taken from the GRO index. To see the actual certs, you should order them from the GRO using the reference details provided in the index.
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

When you try and trace your grandad, access to Scotland's BMDs (and censuses) is quite different. You need to buy credits on:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/
B/M/Ds over 100/75/50 y old are quite cheap - newer ones are a bit more expensive than the GRO (but they have more info). You also have to buy the census images - cost is abt 1.40 GBP - same as old BMDS - if you're careful.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Nov 2012 08:42

To see marriage cert details will cost £9.25, ordered on line from the GRO

Marion

Marion Report 31 Dec 2012 16:17

I have now requested the marriage certificate from GRO. I've since found out that Emily Woods and my Grandfather (Hugh Cameron) divorced in 1947 and the co respondent was named as Samuel Gausi or Gasni but I cannot find trace of any further marriage between them?

Maybe once i get her DOB I will be able to find out more.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 31 Dec 2012 22:26

I did find this, but it's for an Emily P. and doesn't work for a divorce 1947. But do you believe her 2nd marriage was in Scotland?

Name: Salvina Gauci
Spouse Emily P Cameron
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1943
Registration district: Stepney
Inferred County: Middlesex
Volume Number: 1c
Page Number: 245

Jan

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 31 Dec 2012 23:47

There are Gauci births in Stepney with mmn Cameron that would fit with the above marriage.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Jan 2013 01:09

Fair enough - obviously a complete red herring as I rather suspected!
Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 1 Jan 2013 09:39

The marriage cert will not give DOB.......merely her declared age at the time. It will, however, include details about her father - if she knew him - which should help with your search, as may the names of the witnesses

Petef

Petef Report 1 Jan 2013 16:07

It might be worth following this up Marion if you haven't done so already?
Passenger Lists show an Emily Cameron born 1911 leaving the UK and headed for Montreal. She left Greenock in 1957.
I don't have the full subscription which shows the furthur details but I'm sure another member will help you with that.
It might not of course be the Emily you are looking for but its always worth a try.
Good luck with your search,
Peter

Marion

Marion Report 3 Jan 2013 14:35

Thanks everyone
The 1943 may be correct as there is a suspicion that she may have re-married before she was divorced!

If the name was still Cameron then this may be the case and I've also been led to believe she had 8 further children so the births could be correct too.

Peter - not sure about the 1957 date as by then she should not have been called Cameron as the divorce from my grandfather was in 1947, however, i assume her marriage in 1943 may have been null and void?

The plot thickens :-|

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 3 Jan 2013 14:50

Just for the record, the Emily Cameron leaving Greenock was a single hospital kitchen superintendant from Glasgow.

Marion

Marion Report 3 Jan 2013 15:27

Thanks for the update on the Greenock link

Marion

Marion Report 4 Jan 2013 17:16

All of the above is possible as my father was left by his mother Emily Cameron nee Woods in 1941, he was the brought to Scotland to be raised by his Grandmother.

If she kept the Cameron name as she was not divorced until 1947. The co respondent could be Silvana Gauci (known as Samuel?). My grandfather also mentioned the police visting him relating to bigamy which suggests she could have re-married before getting divorced? My grandfather did not re marry until after they divorced.

My dad was told by his father that he knew where his mother lived and that she had more children (8 was mentioned) and this was in Stepney.

There are 6 births in Stepney from 1945-1955 with mmn as emily p cameron. I am hopeful that if the marriage certificate confirms the age when she married my grandfather and perhaps her fathers name i can confirm if emily p cameron is the same person as emily woods who married hugh cameron in 1940 and gave birth to Andrew Graham Cameron in October 1940. :-S

Marion

Marion Report 7 Jan 2013 17:05

The marriage certificate for Hugh Cameron and Emily Woods tells me that she was 21 years old on 13/4/1940 but there is no fathers name.

Perhaps if i send for the marriage certificate of Emily P Cameron and Silvana Gauci and compare the ages or see if she has a fathers name on that one?

Any other ideas would be welcome.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 8 Jan 2013 14:21

I can see why you wish to get the cert - I would be tempted too as she is so elusive!
The only thing I would point out is that the children should have MMN Woods. Having said that, if she was marrying bigamously she might well have put her married name as her birth name, as presumably that is what she was known as.
It's a long shot but if nothing else turns up might be worth £9.25 just to settle it (or not!!!)

EDIT a minor point but 'Salvina' should read 'Salvino' - the masculine form of the name presumably!

Jan

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 8 Jan 2013 14:36

If there is no second name on the 1940 marriage cert, why are you pursuing info about the woman with a second initial?

And, unless you have the certs, I'm not sure how you know the full MMN for the Stepney births to which you refer

Just thinking aloud, to try to clarify things................

Who witnessed the 1940 marriage?