Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Nurse LMS, definition needed

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 14 Dec 2012 13:01

Elizabeth is my newly discoverd great aunt, and a nurse too. So am I, and she is the only other nurse I have discoverd in my tree which is really quite exciting to me. But I do not know what the LMS stands for .As she was not in London I dont think it was London Missionary Society. Could it be the school she trained at
Can anyone shed some light on it for me.
I think offical nursing registration came in in 1919

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?htx=view&r=5538&dbid=7572&iid=LINRG11_1593_1597-1046&fn=Elizabeth&ln=Hall&st=r&ssrc=pt_t27953339_p5100440463_kpidz0q3d5100440463z0q26pgz0q3d32768z0q26pgplz0q3dpid&pid=12477008

Elizabeth Baker
[Elizabeth Hall]
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1835
Relation: Daughter
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Hall
Where born: Crowland, Lincoln, England

Civil parish: Crowland
County/Island: Lincolnshire

Street Address: Poors Lane
Condition as to marriage: Windower (Widower)
Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Peterborough
Sub-registration district: Crowland
ED, institution, or vessel: 2
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 1597
Folio: 29
Page Number: 16
Household Members: Name Age
Elizabeth Hall 76
Elizabeth Baker 46

View
Original
Record

View original image

K

K Report 14 Dec 2012 13:21

Not that it helps in identifying them but it does look like the intials were added later. The enumerator had very neat writing

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 14 Dec 2012 13:33

Thanks K, I hadn't noticed that.
I did wonder if the 'L' had anything to do with Linconshire which is where she was.

K

K Report 14 Dec 2012 13:38

I wonder if the first letter was an S

From googling - Up until 1919 anyone could call themselves a Nurse. Putting Nurse SMS (Subsidiary Medical Services) (anyone other than a doctor)

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=16e95p23dr8vhi1h8obgbjtb67&topic=223336.0;prev_next=prev

Potty

Potty Report 14 Dec 2012 14:02

If you do a search on the 1881 on Ancestry and put Lincolnshire as the county and Nurse LMS in the occupation box, 10 women come up (not your Elizabeth, though as the LMS hasn't been included in the transcription). 265 come up if you put SMS - over 3000 come up if using all counties and 56 for LMS for the whole country.

Looks like a fairly common abbreviation.

CuriousFish

CuriousFish Report 14 Dec 2012 14:03

K, I've had a browse through other pages on this census and on page 8 is a governess with what looks like 'Sch' alongside so I think you are right about the first letter being an 'S'
Thanks again genes community.