Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Boundries/disticts of London ...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 16 Dec 2012 22:28

Hi all,

After reading another thread on maps ...

I am from Australia, so find it hard to work out the different districts and the boundaries .. I search the census with maps of England/ and London by my side.
I have had to do extensive searches for the Waltham Abbey Essex area - which sometimes census comes under Edmonton Essex or Edmonton London ( or maybe Middlesex, correct me if I am wrong) - so is there any rule /date to go by when these boundaries alter.

Many tks for any help.....

Cheers
Karen of Brisbane

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 Dec 2012 22:40

Karen, we too get confused with boundaries in this country!

I usually google search, for example, 'registration district .......... ukbmd' - you then come up with links to ukbmd, if you click on these you can see details of where that area was at any one time.
For example, inserting 'Edmonton' gives you link to this:

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/edmonton.html

Brace yourself, we are very complicated.

Jan

JerryH

JerryH Report 16 Dec 2012 22:43

Images for all the Parish Registers for prior to 1837 that were in Essex but now form part of Greater London are held by the Essex Record Office

If you Google for SEAX then you will find the On Line site.
It is however a Subscription Service.

Remember that these are images from the original documents, not transcriptions.

If I remember correctly, the main changes to the Registration District Boundaries around London were in 1965 and again in 1974.

Jeremy

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 16 Dec 2012 22:50

Unlike many countries local government boundaries in the UK tend to chop and change quite often.

Up until 1888 with the creation of London County Council most of London north of the Thames was within the county of Middlesex. London south of the Thames was in Surrey and Kent. "London" was the City of London.

From 1889 to 1965 Middlesex CC was the rump of the old county until the GLC swallowed the rest along with a chunk of Essex and more of Surrey and Kent.

Edmonton though is where it always was, the slightly posher end of Tottenham. It was very rural until a building boom in the early C20. Modern Edmonton has united with Southgate to form Enfield. For my sins I once lived in Southgate.

Here is a map of the parliamentary constituency
http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/boundary_map_page.jsp?u_id=12752957

Try visiting the area using StreetView. You will find out right away that compared to nearly all of Australia there is a very high population density and it is very diverse.

Karen

Karen Report 17 Dec 2012 04:45

Many Thanks for this info .. every little bit helps.

I almost think I know more about the counties of England than some parts of Australia .. family history is also like a geography lesson.

Merry Christmas to you all ..
Cheers
karen

ps... its 34 degrees cent here in Brisbane today and I have just spent the last hour in the pool cooling off ....
. :-) :-)