Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Meaning of a Check mark in an Army File

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Dec 2012 20:13

Wish i could help you with that Fred but my eyes are not very good,

Try changing/Editing your thread title to include "Help required reading army records" then Edit your OP to include "The file is on Ancestry and I can send a jpeg by PM to anyone who may be able to help decipher the file"

Roy

FredB

FredB Report 18 Dec 2012 19:46

Thanks - if I could only decipher the file!

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Dec 2012 19:37

Fred, Can i just say as per my other post, I would think that any check mark on an official military document would be to confirm/ verify the content as correct, (No Comment) would not be an option open to any official military document

If the info on the document was not required/applicable then N/A could be used but normaly the form would still be in the soldiers record but simply left blank or a line through it

Roy

FredB

FredB Report 18 Dec 2012 17:45

The headings are pre-printed on the form along with other categories such as Married, Died, and a number of headings under a section titled "description extracted from his attestation". For the most part there is a written entry beside each pre-printed category so I wondered if the check mark was the equivalent of "no comment".

The file is in such bad shape I cannot tell if he may have been sent abroad or wounded.

The file is on Ancestry and I can send a jpeg by PM if anyone is interested.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Dec 2012 17:28

Probably written by his immediate superior and then checked by a higher officer.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 18 Dec 2012 16:05

I would assume the check mark is their to verify the info on that document is correct

Roy

FredB

FredB Report 18 Dec 2012 14:28

My great grandfather served in the British Army from 1855-74.

In his file there is a one page summary;

On that page there is a check mark beside each of the headings; “Service Abroad”,” Wounded” and “Distinguished Himself”.

Does anyone know if the check mark means "yes" to those headings or if it means the equivalent of N/A?

The file is in terrible shape and very little besides the summary is legible.