Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sedgefield lunatic asylum 1881

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 Dec 2012 15:18

My ancestors are on the census as being workers at the asylum. How can i confirm this information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Dec 2012 15:26

Try

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/Hospitals.aspx

Roy

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Dec 2012 15:38

Winterton Hospital was the name of the asylum in Sedgefield.

A lady at Durtham Records Office gave us the address of the hospital trust which holds some of the records (sorry I can't remember the address of the trust).

We got my husband's grandfather's records from them. He died at Winterton in the 1940's. The records were quite detailed and there was even a very small copy of a photograph of him - something we had never had before so that was a bonus.

Kath. x

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 Dec 2012 21:48

Thanks for that Kath. Will be in touch with them after Christmas.