Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

sedgefield lunatic asylum 1881

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 Dec 2012 21:48

Thanks for that Kath. Will be in touch with them after Christmas.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 29 Dec 2012 15:38

Winterton Hospital was the name of the asylum in Sedgefield.

A lady at Durtham Records Office gave us the address of the hospital trust which holds some of the records (sorry I can't remember the address of the trust).

We got my husband's grandfather's records from them. He died at Winterton in the 1940's. The records were quite detailed and there was even a very small copy of a photograph of him - something we had never had before so that was a bonus.

Kath. x

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Dec 2012 15:26

Try

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/Hospitals.aspx

Roy

Lynda

Lynda Report 29 Dec 2012 15:18

My ancestors are on the census as being workers at the asylum. How can i confirm this information? Any help would be greatly appreciated.