Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Need Some Help Reading an Old Document!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 7 Jan 2013 10:49

From Ancestry.. London, England, Wills and Probate, 1507-1858 about Sarah Godfree.
Name: Sarah Godfree
Probate Date: 26 Sep 1789
Parish: Hillingdon
County: Middlesex.

I am having a great deal of trouble reading, and understanding this document and would appreciate any help.
Thank you.
K.

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jan 2013 11:39

First bit -
Know all men by these here present, that we Robert Godfree of Uxbridge in the County of Middlesex Labourer, John Hopkins of Warwick Lane in the parish of Christ Church London Victualler and James Savier of Long Lane in the Parish of St Bartholemew the Great London Butcher

are become bound unto the Right Reverend Father ? ? (?his name) (? Bielby) by Divine (?Permission) Lord Bishop of London ? the sum of one hundred and fifty

pounds of good and lawful money of Great Britain, to be paid to him the said Lord Bishop - - - or his lawful Attorney, Executors, Administrators or Assigns: For the good and faithful payment of which sum, we bind ourselves, and every - of us jointly and severally for the Whole, our Heirs, Executors, and Administrators, firmly by these Presents. Sealed with our seals. Dated the twenty sixth day of September, in the Year of our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and eighty nine

The condition of this obligation is such, that if the above ? Robert Godfree the Natural and lawful Brother and administrator of all and singular the goods, chattels and Credits of Sarah Godfree late of the Chapelry of Uxbridge in thew Parish of Hillingdon in theCounty of Middlesex a spinster deceased

do make etc

Kiwibird

Kiwibird Report 7 Jan 2013 11:41

Have had a look K,
I see what you mean, it is not an easy document to understand. This is just an educated guess.

It would seem that Robert Godfree, John Hopkins and James Harriet all merchants have applied for a loan of £150.00 and this is the loan document promising to repay.
Not sure why Sarah Godfee is mentioned.

Maybe someone else could take a look .

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 7 Jan 2013 11:46

Thank you Stuart, does not very much sound like a "Will" to me, but I did say I was having trouble understanding it.

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 7 Jan 2013 11:56

Kiwibird I thought it sounded more like a loan agreement but could not read the whole document and could not understand the mention of Sarah Godfree or the hand written bit at the bottom left hand corner about James Godfree.

My maiden name was Godfree and I have gone back so far to my 3x Great Grandfather Robert Godfree born in Uxbridge in 1806, he has a Sister called Sarah born 1801 & a brother called James. Robert & James both have the Occupation of "Plasterers"
So not sure if they are connected to the Godfree Family in the Document which is why a asked for help reading it, more digging now I think.
Thank you for your help.

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jan 2013 12:05

do make, or cause to be made, a true and perfect inventory of all and singular the Goods, Chattels, and Credits of the said deceased -- -- -- -- which have or shall come to the Hands, Possession, or Knowledge of him the said Robert Godfree (or) into the hands and Possession of any other Person or Persons for him -- -- -- -- And the same so made, do exhibit, or cause to be exhibited, in the Registry of our Consistory Court of London -- --- -- -- at or before the lasrt day od December next ensuing: And the same Goods, Chattels, and Credits, and all other Goods, Chattels, and Credits of the said Deceased at the Time of her Death, which at any Time after shall come to the Hans or Possession of the said Robert Godfree -- -- -- or into the Hands or Possession of any other Person or Persons for him, do well and truly Administer, according to Law; and further do make, or cause to be made, a true and just Account of his said Administration, at or before the last day of (month ? which ? September or December), which shall be in the Year of Our Lord One Thousand Seven Hundred and Ninety And all the rest and residue of the said Goods, Chattrels, and Credits -- -- -- which shall be found remaining upon the said Administrators Account (the same being first examined and allowed by the Judge or judges, for the Time being, of the said Court) shall deliver and pay unto such Person or Persons respectively, as the said Judge or Judges, by his or their Decree or Sentence (persuant to the true Intent and Meaning of an Act of Parliament, Intitled, An Act for the better settling of Intestates Estates), shall limit and appoint. And if it shall hereafter appear, that any last Will and Testament was made by the said Deceased, and the Executor or Executors therin named, do exhibit the same into the said Court, making Request to have it alliwed and approved accordingly, if the said Robert Godfree being thereunto required, do render and deliver the said Letters of Administration (Approbation os such Testament being first had and made) in the said Court: Then this Obligation is void, and of no Effect, or else to remain in full Force and Virtue.

Signed , Sealed, and Delivered in the Presence of

Signature illegible

James Godfree the Natural and lawful Father of the said deceased having first renounced his right to the Letters of Administration of the Goods, Chattels and Credits of the said deceased.

Signed by Robert Godfree, John Hopkins and James Savieeer

gardenpest29

gardenpest29 Report 7 Jan 2013 12:14

Thank you so much Stuart, I am so impressed, still do not quite understand it, but am delighted that now at least I can read it.

greyghost

greyghost Report 7 Jan 2013 12:15

A quick thought as to meaning, got to go out - an hour ago!! Might give you food for thought or something to work on

Sarah's father James has given up his right to take care of the estate (goods, chattels etc) of his daughter. Maybe old or infirm himself. So this has passed to Robert and co

Sarah has died Intestate, ie without will and her brother Robert along with John Hopkins and James Savier are to gather in a list of her goods etc and anything she may owe ie credits ( or maybe what she is owed) and decide what is to be done with them. There is a time limit on this.

If a will is found after this date, then as long as proved then Robert has to give up the Letters by which he can administer the estate.

Perhaps the Bishop had to be paid to allow the Letters of Administration to be granted.