Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What Programs Do You Use To Keep Your Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Brian

Brian Report 8 Jan 2013 20:41

Hi Folks.
Happy New Year to you all.

I use Family Tree Maker for recording my research, and Ancestry for searching, as well as others. I have FMT up to version 2012, but cannot get on with their later versions, after year 2006/7. I like a "form" type of input, like Legacy.
I am considering changing to Genes Reunited. What do users think is the best.

Brian

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jan 2013 20:45

I'd suggest reading through the various threads on here Brian to see what people have already said. Obviously, people have different preferences and opinions.

Personally, I prefer Ancestry to Genes for my tree, backed up on FTM 2010.

Joy

Joy Report 8 Jan 2013 21:28

We started using Ultimate Family Tree some years ago (it was free with a family history magazine). Also we have used the (free) Mormons' Personal Ancestral File.

BrianW

BrianW Report 8 Jan 2013 23:28

Like Joy, I use the free Personal Ancestry File (PAF) from Familysearch.
Perfectly adequate for my requirements.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 8 Jan 2013 23:41

I also use free PAF from Family Search.
I add all my new, updated and amended info to this and upload it as a new tree to GR every few months. It overwrites the previous one...simples!

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 9 Jan 2013 10:18

Happy New Year to you too Brian.

Like MarieCeleste, I use FTM 2010 and use Ancestry for research.

The only problem I have found recently with FTM was when my husband's cousin wanted a copy of his mother's side. I couldn't work out how to split the tree so she didn't have to take his father's side and all my family too. I think though that the problem is actually my lack of computer skills rather than the programme.

I only keep a small part of my tree on GR.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jan 2013 13:56

Rootgatherer

Here is the link to some old instructions for splitting your tree :
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/701045

I have split my tree using these instructions - but I suggest you do a practice run on a temporary tree first.

What annoys me with the 2011 FTM is that I can no longer ( prev 2006) copy a descendant chart or an outline report to word so that I can edit it before sending it on to another person.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2013 14:44

My off-line programme is Family Historian with Ancestry as the main research site.

The FHistorian tree is saved on the PC, with a back up copy to an external hard drive >and< a flash drive. As Cynthia often says - belt and braces! :-D

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 9 Jan 2013 15:53

I'm exactly the same as Det.

My only problem is my Family Historian is an early version which doesn't run on a 64 bit computer so when our old 32 bit one crashed and we bought a 64 bit, the computer company put my FH on a "virtual computer" in the main one. It is not so easy to back up now though I have worked out a way of doing it.

However, at Christmas OH gave me an IOU for the latest version so we are going out tomorrow to get it. Lucky me!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Jan 2013 16:00

Cor! Lucky you! :-D

Typically, I upgraded my version 3 to version 4, a month or so before version 5 was released. Grrr.

JerryH

JerryH Report 9 Jan 2013 17:53

I have PAF and an old version of FTM but I do not use them unless I want to work with an exported GEDCOM

My Primary tree is on Excel.
As well as being a spreadsheet, it can be used as a large "Whiteboard" which enables me to see the full picture for a family that can be shown as would a tree that is drawn on paper. One can use boarders to draw lines and Cell Comments to add additional details. And I can include all those bits and pieces that "don't quite fit yet but look as if they might at some stage"
For pre Census, I have found it vital to examine the whole picture rather than just trying to follow the direct line.

It is also an easy way to share with relatives.

Jeremy