Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

change of name by deedpoll

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 9 Jan 2013 12:23

hi just a query my husbands father changed there name by deedpoll does it say why they changed there name on the deedpoll can i also get a copy of the form

many thanks :-)

Penny

Penny Report 9 Jan 2013 13:34

have you found that was actually a deed drawn up?

Anyone can change their name, as lng as it isn't with intent to comit fraud or to decieve, You just inform officials ( like banks etc,) and assume the name

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 9 Jan 2013 13:39

Try googling....................

Gillian

Gillian Report 9 Jan 2013 15:11

hi thanks for replies relative has offical note on back of birth certificate no more info?
will try googling also :-)

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 9 Jan 2013 15:18

My sons doesnt show why

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 9 Jan 2013 19:22

I changed my name by deed poll around 25 years ago - there was no reason shown on the document, nor was there any register of it.

Gillian

Gillian Report 9 Jan 2013 21:17

hi thanks for the updates
:-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Jan 2013 07:21

In essence, a Deed Poll is nothing more than a formal declaration by an individual that they wish to be known by another name.

Whilst there is no official register, a few people each year opt to have their Deed Poll 'enrolled' in the Enrolment Books at the Supreme Court of Judicature, Royal Courts of Justice, London. After five years, an enrolled Deed Poll is transferred from the Royal Courts to the National Archives in Kew, Surrey.