Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

probate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mamaoates

mamaoates Report 11 Jan 2013 12:26

can anyone tell me how to research probate details for my ancestors - i understand that as well as giving interesting info re their estates; it can help confirm the identities of some relatives :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Jan 2013 12:34

SOME Probate records can be found on Ancestry

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966

Remember that only Wills which were proved can be accessed.........and that the people - other than the deceased - who are named are the Executors, who are not necessarily related to the deceased.

The total value of the estate is also recorded.

If you don't subscribe to Ancestry.........post some details and someone will, I'm sure, try to help you

Kense

Kense Report 11 Jan 2013 14:35

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1259939

mamaoates

mamaoates Report 12 Jan 2013 18:13

thanks for this - i haven't signed up to ancestry - so i'll try your suggestion of putting up details over the next few days