Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK Outward Passenger List

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Teresa

Teresa Report 16 Jan 2013 01:56

Is anyone here able to look up a record on ancestry re the UK Outward Passenger List. I would be forever grateful. I have bought credits in the past for another
search site but have been told the original page is not viewable. The transcription only shows basic info. Now that the list has recently been updated I am wondering if there is more info to be had. I am looking for a home address and final destination address, and maybe an employer, for a John Wainwright, birth year is given as 1917, who emigrated from Southampton in 1951 on the Georgic, and disembarked at Halifax,Nova Scotia. Can anyone add any info to this, it is one of the enduring mysteries in our family tree! Fingers crossed, many thanks in advance, Teresa

Lynski

Lynski Report 16 Jan 2013 02:19

Name: John WAINWRIGHT
Date of departure: 19 May 1951
Port of departure: Southampton
Passenger destination port: Halifax, Canada
Passenger destination: Halifax, Canada

Date of Birth: 1917 (calculated from age)
Marital status:
Sex: Male
Passenger recorded on: Page 27 of 73

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ship: GEORGIC
Official Number: 162365
Master's name: W Stewart
Steamship Line: Cunard S.S Co.
Where bound: New York, USA
Square feet:
Registered tonnage: 15462.78
Passengers on voyage: 1325

Teresa

Teresa Report 16 Jan 2013 02:22

Thank you Lynski. It looks like there is no address info, which is a bit of a blow as we would love to know where he actually went once he disembarked. However I really appreciate your help. Thanks again, Teresa

Lynski

Lynski Report 16 Jan 2013 02:23

FMP is coming up with an error message when I try to look at the original.

Lynski

Lynski Report 16 Jan 2013 02:32

There could be an address on the original but the system is not letting me look at it just now.

I will keep trying..........

Lynski

Lynski Report 16 Jan 2013 02:35

Got it through Ancestry -

Last address in the U.K. -

848 Newport Road
Cardiff, South Wales

Teresa

Teresa Report 16 Jan 2013 03:04

Oh wow, that's fantastic! thank you so much, you are a star. Teresa

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 16 Jan 2013 11:05

I use these records regularly. They are the same list that GR has. On both sites you can see the image and download them. Probably the same on FMP.

Tricks I've found useful - if you can't find a person try just an initial or one of the childrens name. Another tip is to just search by the last name only and see what comes up. Not so useful if the name is common like Smith, Robnson etc. Don't worry about destination - this gives you chance to look at all the manifests :-D :-D

jax

jax Report 16 Jan 2013 18:06

The problem was the image would not open on FMP, that is why the poster asked for someone to look it up on ancestry