Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

help needed for look up at bristol record office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 23 Jan 2013 16:58

found enries on family search for william wathen 1818 baptism st.philips and st. jacobs parents owen wathen and sexa or lexa or sarah
any information about these people would be great as I have hit a brick wall . william was my gt gt gt grandfather.
thank you
chrissy

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jan 2013 18:18

Found this peculiar entry (not quite sure why a marriage is under burials):

Gloucestershire, England, Extracted Parish Records

Text: 1279 29 Apr 1800 Owen Wathan & Jane Lawrence botp Banns

Book: Burialls 1604. (Burial)

Collection: Gloucestershire: Bristol - Register of Marriages, 1800-1837

The baptisms for children of Owen and Lexa/Sexa/other variations start c1809 in Bristol on family search.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jan 2013 18:51

I don't know if this is likely to be the same Owen, but if so might give you some idea of his birthdate.

Last name: Wathen
First Name: Owen
County: Monmouthshire
Place / Parish: Blaenavon
Burial Year: 1848
Burial Month: May
Burial Day: 27
Died Year:
Died Month:
Died Day:
Fathers Forenames:
Mothers Forenames:
Husbands Forenames:
Page: 20
Record source: Monmouthshire Burials - Transcripts
Data provider: Welsh Archive Services / Gwasanaethau Archifau Cymru

I wondered about it as William Wathan born Bristol seems to be in that area in census 1851:

Census 1851:

Name: William Wathan
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1818
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary Ann Wathan
Where born: Bristol, Gloucestershire, England<<<<<<<<
Civil Parish or Township: Llanwenarth Ultra
County/Island: Monmouthshire
Registration district: Abergavenny
Sub-registration district: Blaenavon<<<<<<<<<

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jan 2013 19:03

This might be the death of Mary Ann, William's wife:

Last name: Wathen
First Name: Mary Ann
County: Monmouthshire
Place / Parish: Blaenavon
Burial Year: 1902
Burial Month: Feb
Burial Day: 19
Died Year:
Died Month:
Died Day:
Fathers Forenames:
Mothers Forenames:
Husbands Forenames:
Page: 96
Record source: Monmouthshire Burials - Transcripts
Data provider: Welsh Archive Services / Gwasanaethau Archifau Cymru

Christine

Christine Report 23 Jan 2013 21:15

thank for this info I have traced my family in Blaenavon back to William wathen 1818 and found Owen Wathen death 1848 ,I have a copy of william wathen marriage certificate but his fathers signatuire doen't look anything like owen it seems more like Howell . So trying to find the missing link in St.philip and st.jacob as that's where william has put as his birth place .
thank you again for your help
chrissy it is much appreciated as I am struggling to get further and to be able to verify his father and mother with all the conflicting material/

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jan 2013 22:42

You probably know already, but census 1841 has a 60 yr old Owen Wathen, an ag lab, living with the Philpot famly and others in Chapel Row, Llanfoist, in the Blaenavon district, so I expect he's the one whose death was recorded in 1848.

I don't know if that tallies with the occupation of Owen/Howell on William's marriage cert.

You probably have this also

Name: William Wathen
Probate Date: 12 Jul 1884
Death Date: 15 Apr 1884
Death Place: Monmouthshire, Wales
Registry: Llandaff

Administration (with the will) of the Personal Estate of William Wathen late of Blaenavon in the county of Monmouth who died 15th April 1884 at Blaenavon was granted at Landaff to Mary Ann Wathen of 36 Quick-Buildings Blaenavon Widow the Relict.
Personal Estate £144 18s 10d..

Sorry I can't help with the brick wall in Bristol, unless that marriage to Jane Lawrence was William's father, but probably not his mother?

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jan 2013 22:52

A public tree on Ancestry has this marriage, but doesn't substantiate it:

1807 7 Sep
Marriage to Sexa Morgan
St John, Bedminster, Somerset, England.
Surname recorded as Wether(n) Witness: James Morgan.

If you don't have access to Ancestry, you can access Ancestry Public trees and try and contact their owners at the following site:

http://www.mundia.com/gb/

You have to register, but at the moment its free to use.

I wonder if Owen was a widower...

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jan 2013 22:56

I've found a record for that marriage to Sexa Morgan, but unfortunately there's no image attached.

Date: 07 Sep 1807
Groom Forenames: Owen
Groom Surname: Wether
Groom's parish:
Groom's county:
Groom's condition:
Bride's Forenames: Sexa
Bride's Surname: Morgan
Bride's parish:
Bride's county:
Bride's condition:
By licence:
Place: Bedminster
Witnesses:
Notes:
Record source: Somerset Marriages (post-1754)
Data provider: Somerset & Dorset Family History Society

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Jan 2013 23:10

Yet another tree on Ancestry has this death for Sexa which I haven't been able to substantiate, but at least if you find someone to go to the record office you can give them something to check out.

This death would explain why the family search baptisms for the children of the couple ended in 1822.

"1823 7 Dec Burial Sexa Wathen.
St Philip and Jacob, Bristol, Gloucestershire.
Source: original record."

The same tree has Sexa as baptised

1786 18 Jan Baptism St John the Baptist, Parish Church of Axbridge, Somerset, England.

Daur of Theophilus Morgan :Birth 1750 in Neath & later Of Taunton, Somerset, England.

and his wife:

Sarah Taylor Birth 1749 in Yatton, Somerset, England, United Kingdom.

"1773 20 Jun Age: 24 Marriage to Theophilus Morgan
St John the Baptist, Parish Church of Axbridge, Somerset, England.
By License. (Source: Original Parish Register)"

One of their children is a son called James, and according to the tree a James Morgan was a witness at Sexa's wedding.

The tree takes Sexa's line back further, but not Owen's. The tree is the Morgan Thomas Family tree, owner corfield191. There are a lot of references to 'original record', so it really might be worth your while trying to contact the tree owner via either Ancestry if you have access, or Mundia if you don't.

Christine

Christine Report 24 Jan 2013 18:05

thank you so much at last more concrete information for me to try an act on could not find anything on sexa and wondered if she exdisted .Once again rhank you so much
chrissy

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 24 Jan 2013 18:15

Happy to help.

Hope you make contact with the tree owner as looked like s/he had done the research, had notes on apprentice records etc for Sexa's father and reported him being given settlement rights in Taunton in 1854, despite his birth in Wales, as his father had been born in Taunton.

The tree did go back a bit on the Morgan line, and at least one generation on the Taylor line, I didn't look any further as I figured you can do that yourself.

It certainly seemed as if the tree owner had used original sources as well as online ones.