Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Linking relatives on full tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Thelma Report 28 Jan 2013 12:10

Glad it worked out for you Ron.
The very reason for changing the entry which needs deleting is so that you don't get in a pickle when you use "find existing" and "change mother".
The same system applies if it is the father in tree twice.
I have eight double entries and some required a different method.


Ronald Report 28 Jan 2013 10:18


Executed advice [in a slightly different manner] and achieved required result !
Once again many thanks for steering me in the right direction.


Ronald Report 28 Jan 2013 09:18


Thank you for your prompt advice. I have tried to use the "find existing" function once before with near disasterous reslts - took me seversl hours to correct damage ! So before I start could you expand on your instruction as at 1] please - I am ok with the rest of the steps.

Thanks ,



Thelma Report 27 Jan 2013 19:22

Joe Bloggs Married Jane Doe and they had two children.
Jane Doe is already in tree
To merge the two Janes.
1/ Alter the wife Jane to Wrong Wife or such like
2/ Add another wife Jane Doe to Joe And use the "find existing" function
3/ Go to each child And you will find a "change mother" function
4/ Now delete "Wrong Wife"


Ronald Report 27 Jan 2013 13:03

I have a married couple common to two different branches of my full family tree - A daughter to one couple has been linked to a husband and chilren and a son by the other couple is also linked to a wife and children . This occurred by [I think] different relatives marrying into the same family and therefore two different lines of research.

How can I link them ? :-D