Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HELP reading birth GRO number

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 27 Jan 2013 22:34

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. I've looked up a family member but can't read the gro number. Its CANDY SHARON PUDNEY, JAN-FEB-MAR 1968. So far ive got 6d and what looks like 1939/5???? please help.

Kind regards
David

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Jan 2013 22:42

Have sent PM of Ancestry transcription. The '5' is an 's'.
I am not sure, but this might indicate an adoption??
Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 27 Jan 2013 22:47

Hang on - have checked image and you are right, it is very unclear as hand-written. If this is the case then the cert can be ordered without the ref number anyway.
Do you have reason to suppose there is an adoption involved here?
As I say, I am not certain, but I seem to recall the 's' might mean this. Many apologies if I am mistaken.
Jan

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Jan 2013 23:31

On Findmypast it looks to me as what it is transcribed as on there - 3929/S. I think the volume number is 6B.

I'd also think an adoption was involved.

Kath. x

David

David Report 28 Jan 2013 00:18

Thank you all.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jan 2013 09:49

A small s against the page nos means that only a small cert would be issued which won't show the parents names.its usually because an adoption occurred. Rules changed over the years regarding how adoption was indicated on birth certs

Reggie

Reggie Report 28 Jan 2013 10:51

This person is not yet 50 years old, so surely the exact DOB would be required if the cert were to be ordered?

David

David Report 28 Jan 2013 12:11

Hi Shirley, How would it be possible to find the parents names?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jan 2013 12:17

Well even if she wasnt adopted you would need the parents names & her full date of birth to order the cert as its under 50 years old . This is to prevent identity fraud.

If the lady was adopted she can apply for her adoption files But its only open to her .

Some years ago when I was at the London Records Office Islington .now no longer holding the BIG GRO books < I ordered birth and marriage certs for my sister & BIL & their daughter who now live in Canada. All their belongings were in storage and they needed their certs for legal matters.
I knew Sis details of course but BIL had to email me all his and the full detaills of my niece and I had to get the order authorised at the records office before they would accept my order and payment . This was because all records were under 50 years old

David

David Report 28 Jan 2013 12:39

I see. It's my girlfriend's sister that she never knew about until after her mother passed away. Candy was given up for adoption and my girlfriend is desparate to find her sister. I knew all details except the actual date of birth and the fathers name as she was born out of wedlock.

Thank you for your help.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Jan 2013 12:45

David, your girlfriend needs to register her details on the National Adoption Register. If her sister is looking for her birth family she might well register on there, if not already then at some point in the future.

Click here:

http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/resources.php

Getting the birth cert isn't likely to help her really as an adoption took place. It looks like she was registered in her mother's maiden name wouldn't you say?

Also, though a long shot, I would check out other trees on here and sites like Facebook, even google her name - you never know, if she is seeking her birth family you might strike lucky.

Good luck!

Jan

David

David Report 28 Jan 2013 12:58

Thanks Jan. I'll give that a go and pass on the info :)

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 28 Jan 2013 13:15

Her mothers maiden name is given as Pudney on the GRO record so its very likely no father is given on the birth cert anyway.

Jans suggestion is the best way to go .

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Jan 2013 13:18

Just one more thing to try. Make sure you do a family tree putting all the Pudney names you can on it. Another long shot, but again, if she goes looking for her birth family she might come on here one day. A surprising number of people who are adopted do so.
Jan

David

David Report 28 Jan 2013 16:53

Thanks Jan and Thanks Shirley. :)