Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Problems with Importing GEDCOM - Help! Please.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 1 Feb 2013 15:01

I exported my fam. tree as a GEDCOM,and imported it onto Family Tree Maker, some of the yrs of birth have been replaced by 2013, and some not showing a date at all, even though there's a date on my Genes file.
Has anyone else experienced this problem?
Any help, or advice on this problem I'd welcome please, as I cannot send this info. to anyone in this state.
Many thanks,

ShelleyRose. x

Kense

Kense Report 1 Feb 2013 15:48

This was noticed when the new tree replaced the old.

See this= thread
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1308375

Basically the old tree expected you to put in days in the format dd/mm/yyyy. As the year was also in another field I used the format dd/MMM to avoid ambiguity. However the GR system, if it cannot recognise the year, puts in the current year which gets output on the GEDCOM.

Your best solution is probably to make the FTM version the master and import GEDCOMs from that back into your GR tree. You will have to correct the dates manually.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Feb 2013 17:51

Unfortunately gedcom transfers are not always precise. Dates, in particular can cause problems.

I have found that the format dd mmm yyyy i.e. 21 Jul 1956 is less prone to errors.

ShelleyRose

ShelleyRose Report 1 Feb 2013 23:28

Thank you KenSE and InspectorGreenPen for your quick replies and helpful advice, very much appreciated.

ShelleyRose. x