Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Elliott & Sarah Louise Williams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 2 Feb 2013 16:36

I am trying to find information on my great great grandmothers parents. They were called Thomas Elliott and Sarah Louise Williams (although later she called herself Louisa) I can find no marriage record for them. Sarah remarried in 1870 to William Thackery Tompkins. I believe her first marriage would have taken place around 1860s. I also believe her first husband Thomas was still alive when she remarried as this fits with what is written on one of their children's marriage certificate. Thomas and Sarah had 3 children together Emma 1863, Louisa 1865 and Alexander 1869.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated as its driving me mad!

Andrew

Andrew Report 2 Feb 2013 16:57

Where was this please

Andy

Thelma

Thelma Report 2 Feb 2013 17:14

Tree on Mundia states Alexander born Leyton Essex

sarah louisa williams

1844-1915
Born: Twickenham, England, United Kingdom
Died: Essex, Greater London, United Kingdom

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Feb 2013 17:14

Marriage for location:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Jun 1870
Hutching Jane Eliza West Ham 4a 45
STUBBINGS Alexander John W Ham 4a 45
TOMPKINS William Thockery W Ham 4a 45 <<
WILLIAMS Sarah Louisa West Ham 4a 45 ??

?? This indicates that she hadn't been married before as Williams is her maiden name. If she had been wed then this marriage should have been in her previous married name.

jansmith

jansmith Report 2 Feb 2013 17:15

for info 1871

Name:
Louisa Elliott
Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1865
Relation:
Stepdaughter

Mother's Name:
Louisa Tompkins

Where born:
Billericay, Essex, England

Civil parish:
Leyton
County/Island:
Essex
Registration district:
West Ham

Sub-registration district:
Leyton

Name:
Louisa Tompkins

Estimated Birth Year:
abt 1846

Relation:
Wife

Spouse's Name:
William Tompkins

Where born:
Twickenham, Middlesex, England

Civil parish:
Leyton

Household Members:

Name

William Tompkins 21
Louisa Tompkins 25
Emma Elliott 8
Louisa Elliott 6
Alexander Elliott 2
Hester Tomkins 1
Charles Williams 21 brother in law

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Feb 2013 17:20

1871 for reference:

TOMPKINS, William Head M 21 1850 Middlesex, Hackney - Marine Store Dealer
TOMPKINS, Louisa Wife F 25 1846 Middlesex Twickenham
ELLIOTT, Emma Step-Daughter F 8 1863 Kent Greenwich
ELLIOTT, Louisa Step-Daughter F 6 1865 Essex Billericay
ELLIOTT, Alexander Grandson M 2 1869 Essex Leyton
TOMKINS, Hester Daughter F 1 1870 Essex Leyton
WILLIAMS, Charles Brother-In-Law M 21 1850 Middlesex Twickenham, Marine Store Dealer

Piece: 1634 Folio: 19 Page: 28
Registration District: West Ham
Civil Parish: Leyton

Address: Grange Road, Leyton County: Essex

Karen

Karen Report 2 Feb 2013 17:22

Believe they lived around Leyton, Essex. Though first child of Thomas Elliott and Sarah (Louisa) was born in Kent. That would be Emma Elliott. It is the marriage between Thomas Elliott and Sarah Louisa Williams that has me stumped. Plus what happened to Thomas as she remarried and I don't believe it was because he died.

Thanks for all help so far.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Feb 2013 17:26

Karen, if you look at the marriage I posted above you'll see she married Tompkins in her maiden name. That very strongly suggests that she was never legally married to Thomas Elliott.

That also explains how she was able to marry whilst he was still alive as divorce was virtually impossible for ordinary people back then.

The children could be registered in the name of Elliott if he acknowledged paternity on registration. Have you found birth records for them?

Karen

Karen Report 2 Feb 2013 17:37

Have ordered them am waiting for them to arrive. Have marriage certificates for their children he is on them as their father and is still alive and working when they got married. Oddly in the same place as William Tompkins now I look. If dates are correct then they would have been very young themselves when the 3 children were born. In 1871 Louisa was only 25 but the oldest was 8.

Thank you for your help :-)

Robert

Robert Report 13 Apr 2013 21:04

Hi Karen

I can help you on the Williams side, I have been researching this family for the past 12 years. Please let me know your email address and I will send you a family's Tree Report.

In turn kindly let me know what you have on the Elloit family, like you it has had me stumped .

Regards

Bob Williams

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 14 Apr 2013 12:02

Hi Bob and welcome to the boards.

Hopefully Karen will notice your message if she checks her 'threads' next time she logs onto the site.

Just to be sure, you might want to send her a PM (personal message) by clicking on her name. GR will send an email to her registered address letting her know that you are trying to contact her.