Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Beware of Professional Researcher

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 10 Feb 2013 21:16

Please be aware that if you are asked for information from a Jeremy Stuehmeyer he is a professional researcher & his web page is :-
http://www.jsfamilytrees.com/
or Google his name
I am not asking you not to give information to him but just making you aware.

Penny

Penny Report 11 Feb 2013 00:05

he and thousands of others are making a living out of Researching- whats wrong with that?

Michael

Michael Report 11 Feb 2013 00:10

Nothing wrong with making a living out of it, but when he asks for photos & copies of marriage certificates that you have paid for & he wants them for FREE so that he can then charge somebody else for research that he hasn't done, I don't think so ?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Feb 2013 05:37

another one!!

Thank you Michael for keeping us up-to-date on this.

I too object to doing the work for free for someone who will then charge someone, and claiming falsely to have done the work.

sylvia

Penny

Penny Report 11 Feb 2013 06:29

Fair enough. you didn't quite say that.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 11 Feb 2013 12:36

His website certainly makes some very extravagent claims on how good he is, he is certainly not backward in praising himself and his talents.

But the name does not ring any bells - does he use different names on here?

Reggie

Reggie Report 11 Feb 2013 12:41

If he is (as it appears) less than scrupulous, the chances of his using his real name on here must be close to zero

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 11 Feb 2013 12:43

Is he still operating as a researcher? It doesn't look as if he has updated his website since about 2010

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 11 Feb 2013 13:13

He is listed as a member under his own name

only 3 members with the name Stuehmeyer in their tree and one member has 2 accounts

Vera, their are updates on the site in 2012 but another page shows BMD cert for £7 to £8

Roy

Michael

Michael Report 11 Feb 2013 13:41

When he contacted me he was very polite but asked who the person married, if so how many children, who were her parents, do I have a copy of the marriage certificate, do I have a photograph. And when he asked for a speedy reply I then Googled his name because it made me suspicious that he might be a professional researcher, & I am glad that I did.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 11 Feb 2013 20:11

I'm sure I've come across this chap on the boards before, it's not a name you forget.

I believe he was asking for help (threads probably deleted).

I do NOT like being taken advantage of.

The terms and conditions of GR state:

"The contents of the Genes Reunited Service, webpages, computer codes of elements comprising the Genes Reunited Service and any software provided to you by us may not be copied, reproduced, communicated and/or made available to the public, republished, downloaded, posted, recorded, broadcast or transmitted or used in any other way except for your own personal, private and non-commercial use, or unless otherwise expressly permitted by us."

So is using data obtained from other members a breach?

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 11 Feb 2013 22:48

Does this bit cover you using info provided for free by other members

'except for your own personal, private and non-commercial use,'

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2013 01:27

I think it's the "non-commercial" bit which covers US

but it probably would not cover a professional researcher!

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 12 Feb 2013 08:40

agree Sylvia. Thanks for clarifying

Jed

Jed Report 25 Feb 2013 15:06

Hello Michael (& GR members noted above)

Michael, I attend numerous family history based talks all over the place and so from after a talk (local to you I believe) I met up with one of your (possible) relations who asked me to do some research - and to prove a very old family tale, which of course and after leaving “no stone unturned” I did, and this person is extremely happy and pleased that I was able to put some light on the tale.

I have come across so many people and researchers that have given up looking into their family history because of numerous obstacles, and so I have been asked to help out with some amazing families and tales because of this! Have you or how many of you have been asked to do a family history based talk in front of a large Family History Society, in fact could you actually do it and what could you teach them?... well we can all learn from each other and there is so much more for us to learn out there?
I started my research way back before emails or the internet was ever invented, by writing letters all over the place (the old fashioned way) including to the German archives (I wrote in English) and then I received the replies in German! so I had to get these translated – it was fun back then and its still great fun today whether I'm contacting German, French or even the South African archives - to name just a few.

I've only just updated my website mainly because I've been so extremely busy with my research “around the globe” - I try to include and give a glimpse of what I've been working on and what is possible of course with very hard work!!.... if one knows what to do and one tries hard enough he/she/we will get there with some determination!

As my website says I've been hunting through copious archives for well over 30 years now and I have enjoyed every single piece of the jigsaw no matter whether its connected to my family of not.

I attend the brilliant “Who Do You Think You Are” show at Olympia London and similar events each year, its terrific to meet up with most of the large online genealogy and family history based companies and there is so much to be gained and learnt by doing this. The GenesReunited team are a great bunch and they’re always very helpful. Many thousands of people visit the WDYTYA show every year from all over the world because it’s the largest event of its kind - have you or any of the above members visited the show…. if not you should try it some time.

GR members may hide their real names with a funny user name or nicknames but I have no wish to hide my name because I am who I am. Google’ing my name will bring up numerous website links appertaining to my work, talks and as a speaker so you can see and read a little more of what is possible family history wise.

Good luck to you.... and all the others on GR members with your research.
Best regards
Jeremy

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Feb 2013 15:14

It wasn't your credentials that anyone was doubting Jeremy .....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Feb 2013 18:30

..................... and there is no need to make nasty remarks about GR members not using their real names.

If you are such a good researcher you should be well aware of the fact that very few wise or computer-savvy women provide much information on an open site such as GR ...................... we prize our privacy and safety too much.

There is also the problem that there is much overlap between forenames on a site with over 12 million members. Hence why I have "In Canada" as part of my Board name, or Ann has Lancashire as part of hers. It helps to distinguish us from other people with the same name ............... allows other members to know just who they are addressing.

You are not the only Jeremy!

It also does not mean that we are not also good researchers, or that we do not visit WDYTYA .............. or would if we lived in the UK, and could attend without it costing us an arm and a leg.

I know that there many people on these Boards who have been doing genealogical research for at least as long as you, and for much longer than you in a number of cases ..................... and in exactly the same way.

I would also dare to say that quite a few members have spoken to FH societies, both large and small. Some have even been leaders of courses given by FH societies.

So there was no need to malign your fellow members.

After all, you only joined in 2009 ............... this site began in 2002, and there are many who joined back then. My own membership began in early 2004.

As MC said, no-one doubts your credentials ....................

............. and no one objects to you making a living out of doing research for other people.

.......... it is the ETHICS of you asking for free help on these Boards or by pm to a member, and asking for copies of certificates etc that a member has bought, and then providing that information to other people for a price.

All the people on these Boards are members of GR, and provide help to each other and to any one that asks, for free, out of the goodness of their heart and out of a love for genealogical research.

We all use various sources, some of which are subscription sites, and we all buy certificates or documents needed for our OWN research ........................ and we often do provide to others information for which we have paid, or provide copies of documents to people who are closely connected to our own ancestors.

People like you are taking advantage of that love of research.

That is what this thread was about.

sylvia

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 25 Feb 2013 19:10

Who is this person ?????? could be anyone of us or past member who have done their tree and helpped others do theirs..................could even be jeremy kyle or paxman or irons .......OR even jeremy fisher!!!

I,m sorry I dont believe you are who you say you are let alone what you say!

The Meercat

The Meercat Report 25 Feb 2013 20:06

Well thats put me off professional researchers.What a lot of old nonsense just
to get other peoples certificates and family trees for nothing.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 25 Feb 2013 20:57

Well said Sylvia

No I have not visited WDYTYA Jeremy. Not because I would not like to but as Sylvia says it can cost an arm and a leg even when you live in England. Also some people are not physically capable of going to such an event.

Many researches on here are on a tight budget which is why they are asking for help from people who do have access to subscription sites. I did myself until I managed to afford a sub and was helped by many kind people. Many of us are pensioners who have the time but limited cash for research.