Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

National Archives Kew

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 11 Feb 2013 18:38

My local FHS organises regular trips to Kew....so far they have contrived to go on the only days when I have something organised!!!! But their next visit on 13 April is a possibility.

But at the risk of sounding a total ignoramus....what can I do there? Can I view certificates and take the information off them (rather than pay £9.25 a throw?)

Any advice welcomed :-)

George_of_Westbury

George_of_Westbury Report 11 Feb 2013 18:44

From the National Archives KEW website.

What records can I find at The National Archives at Kew?

The National Archives does not hold birth, marriage or death certificates or any parish baptism, marriage or burial records.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/birthmarriagedeathcertificates.htm

George

Amanda,

Amanda, Report 11 Feb 2013 19:33

Most folks these days tend to use the free Ancestry/FMP etc, I guess they don't have access at home.

So much is now online, do you have anything in particular you wanted to look at?

The Divorce papers 1911-1937 might be of interest if you know there was one, but for all original records you will need a Readers Ticket.

It's not the easiest website to follow!

Also at the moment the LDS are there but last time I went they only know that they are there until 31st March this year which might have changed by now as I presume they must know by now if they are moving.

I can help you find what films the LDS do have if they will still be there.

Kind regards
Amanda

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 11 Feb 2013 22:50

No, you can't view certs at Kew.

There are REAMS of records at Kew that you can look at - only a tiny proportion is online.

Anything in particular you want to find out about? I'd suggest you read their Research Guides for the subjects you're interested in.

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 12 Feb 2013 06:45

No nothing in particular. As I say my local FHS does four trips per year and I have never been able to go up until now. But I don't want to go and spend the day twiddling my thumbs. Guess I'll give it a miss