Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tree Owners on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 14 Feb 2013 15:09

Can any one tell me-if a message is sent to someone whose membership has lapsed (last log in 4 months ago) do they still receive the message ?

Trying to work out if they are still an active member (of Ancestry) or just not interested in contact :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 14 Feb 2013 15:47

Hi Elizabeth.
If they can be contacted, I am not sure the membership can have lapsed. I say this because when i found my 2nd cousin on Ancestry, I was unable to even send a message as she was no longer a member. Luckily she re-joined and contacted me!
So it might be they have just not visited their tree in a while. Have you actually tried sending a message yet?
Jan

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 14 Feb 2013 15:56

Jan

Yes, sent message about 3 weeks ago but no response-so far !

Wondered if it was like GR where they can receive messages but not reply if no longer member ?

Will try again :-)

jax

jax Report 14 Feb 2013 16:14

If free members of GR recieve messages they can reply

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 14 Feb 2013 16:36

Elizabeth, If you open up their profile on Ancestry it will tell you when they last visited the site so at least you know if they are still active. Don't give up yet tho as I recently received a reply after 7 months when they explained they had been to busy to check in to the site! I do wish GR would add this facility - would save a lot of frustration at the lack of replies!

Sue

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Feb 2013 07:47

I exchanged several messages a fortnight ago with a member who no longer subscribes, so yes, they can.

He did mention though that he can no longer view trees since letting his subscription lapse, although he can access and update his own, which he did on receiving some information from myself.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 15 Feb 2013 09:45

Thank you for the replies-I will try again later

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Feb 2013 13:38

I have contacted many people both here on Genes Reunited and on Ancestry and in most cases receive no replies.

At least on Ancestry you can see when that person has last logged on (as stated in OP'sthread).

But again it is all down to the individual as to whether they decide to reply. An indication on whether someone will reply is if their tree is Privace on Ancestry, I have found that many only reply if you supply a relevant query regarding the person you are interested in i.e. Name dob/place parents and some of the siblings.

However, I would not keep contacting some as it is on Ancestry , just keep checking to see if they log in.

Kense

Kense Report 15 Feb 2013 14:16

The last log in time is not very accurate on Ancestry.

Looking at mine it says last log in was last month even though I had to sign in yesterday after a PC tidy up.

It oftern says last log in six months ago even for people who have updated their tree fairly recently.