Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How to add a first marriage to the tree?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Susan

Susan Report 14 Feb 2013 18:09

Hi folks, you'll probably roll your eyes at this one! It's bound to be simple, I still cant get my head round it though....

My maternal gt grandfather was married to a widow and had three children. I need to add the first marriage for my gt grandmother and the offspring but can't figure out how I do it so that I get the children attached to the correct parents.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

K

K Report 14 Feb 2013 18:45

It should be fairly simple. Click on your gr grandmother then cilck on add then select spouse and add the second spouse(or rather spouse of the first marriage). Then add her children with that spouse.

I have found in the past that the spouses are listed in the order of their age. Therefore if the second spouse is the oldest she will appear as the first wife. Not sure if this still happens or happens with two husbands

Good Luck Kx

Edit - Apologies I had the edit this

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 15 Feb 2013 23:23

Who 'had three children'?

Your gt grandfather and his wife?

Or his wife with her first husband.?

If you mean the latter, you have to add her first husband's details to your tree.......if you know them. If you don't, just put 'unknown' for his first name (you obviously know his surname)

Then add the children to HER...........the system will offer you the choice of father.........

Don't forget to put her in under her maiden name, or you'll not be able to add her parents.....or at least, not accurately